2. Set of words within a language that are
familiar are known as person’s vocabulary;
vocabulary develops with age and is tool for
communication and acquiring language;
a large vocabulary helps us to communicate
and express what we mean;
a person may be judged by others based on
his or her vocabulary.
3. Testing is a procedure of critical
evaluation, determining a quality or
truth of something.
Testing shows what level of
knowledge has been acquired.
4. Finding out about progress
Finding about learning difficulties
Finding out about achievment
Finding out about proficiency
5. Check that your items really do test what they are
Make sure that instructions for each item are
The test should be not too difficult, with no trick
Decide exactly how you will assess each section
of the test.
Try to go for interesting content and tasks, in
order to make the test more motivating for the
The test should be such that lower-level students
can feel that they are 15 able to do a substantial
part of the test, while the higher-level ones have
a chance to show what they know (Ur 1991: 42).
6. 1) Choose the type of the test you want.
2) Write down what you want to put into the test,
for example present simple tense etc.
3) Decide about the length, format.
4) Prepare some suitable exercises or texts.
5) Give appropriate weight to the individual parts
of the test.
6) Create the test.
7) Focus on the instructions and sample answers.
8) Think about the marking scale.
9) Write a key to the exercises.
10) Write a more detailed key for those tasks
where more options are
11) Write the test with your students.
12) Interpret the test results and decide what was
good and bad about the test.
7. achievement test-measure what language
that students have learned as a result of
proficiency test-look to the future situation
of language use without necessarily any
reference to the previous process of teaching
diagnostic test -analyse what the learners are
good and bad at. In compliance with this
information, the teacher adapts her teaching
prognostic test -discover how a learner will
be successful in a course or if he or she is
able to attend such a course.
8. • multiple choice
• cloze test
• questions and
• error correction
• rearranging words
• Information transfer
9. He accused me of ...... lies.
10. There are usually five men in the crew of a fire
engine. One o_____them dri_____ the
eng_____. The lea_____ sits bes_____ the
dri_____. The ot_____ firemen s_____
inside t_____ cab o_____ the f_____
engine.T_____ leader h_____ usually be_____ in
t_____ Fire Ser_____ for ma_____ years...
11. The police are __________ for a three-day-old
baby-girl _________ yesterday from
the __________ ward of a London hospital. The
baby was removed form her
__________ early yesterday morning. Police are
anxious to find a __________ seen
__________ round the hospital __________ that
12. On Sunday, Tom gets up at 10 o'clock. Then he reads his newspaper in the kitchen. He has
breakfast at 11.30 and then he telephones his mother in Scotland.
In the afternoon, at 1.00, Tom plays tennis with his sister and after that, they eat dinner in a
restaurant. At 6.00, Tom swims for one hour and then he goes by bike to his brother´s house.
They talk and listen to music.
Tom watches television in the evening and drinks a glass of Jack Daniel's whiskey. He goes to bed
1. Tom gets up at 10am on Sundays.
2. Tom reads the newspaper in the lounge.
3. His father lives in Scotland.
13. What was the relationship between Jane Eyre
and Mrs. Reed?
What was Mr. Rochester like?
14. Example of gap-filling with there is/there are:
______ a little dog in the park; ______ also a big
cat. In this house ______ eight little
rooms and a big kitchen. ______ two lamps on
the wall but ______ only one lamp on
15. Put the following sentences into past simple
She likes her job.
Jane wears jeans.
They clean the windows.
16. The last time I played tennis was ten years ago.
Would you like me to give you a lift?