3. WHAT IS ASSESSMENT?
• the process of determining to what extent
the educational objectives are being
• systematic examination of educational &
• assessing the strengths & weaknesses of
programs, policies, students, etc. to improve
5. PURPOSES OF ASSESSMENT
• To provide short-term goals to the students.
• To clarify the intended learning outcome.
• To determine the level of knowledge &
understanding in students.
• To diagnose the strengths & weakness of
6. PURPOSES OF ASSESSMENT
• To encourage students' learning by measuring
• To provide information to students for
overcoming learning difficulties.
• To estimate the effectiveness of the
instructional media used.
7. PURPOSES OF ASSESSMENT
• To assess the nonscholastic domains of the
• To assess the student’s progress throughout
• To ascertain if the teaching strategies are
effective or not.
• To improve curriculum in light of recent
8. • Assessment for learning
• Assessment of learning
• Assessment as learning
Meaning It is ongoing assessment of
the student’s achievement.
It is final assessment of the
Purposes To monitor the progress of
students & provide feedback
To finally assign the grades.
Frequency Carried out quite frequently
ranging from daily to weekly.
Carried out monthly,
biannually, annually or at the
end of a semester.
Content focus Detailed focus on content. General & broad content
Methods It include classroom
class tests & internal
It include project evaluation,
term examination & final
13. BASED ON MANNER OF RESULT
21. • Test
• Focus Group Discussion (FGD)
• Self-report Inventories
• Check List
• Rating Scale
22. Assessment of Knowledge Assessment of Skills
Essay type questions Observation checklist Likert attitude
Extended response essay Rating scale scale
Restricted response essay Anecdotal record
Short answer questions Cumulative records
Fill in the blank type Writing assignment
Statement completion Viva voce (Oral
Labelling a diagram Examination)
Objective type of questions Objective Structured
Multiple choice questions Practical Examination
Matching type questions