Presenting a) Mega Trends in the business world that affect small and medium-sized enterprises, b) the op ten technologies that promote creative disruption, and c) how to proceed in implementing some of them.
Sample Of Professions Being Affected
• Teachers, Professors
• Doctors, Nurses
• Lawyers, Paralegals
• Clerks, Tellers, Servers
• Servers, Taxi Drivers
• Workers (Construction, Farming, Manufacturing …)
Over 3 dozen
disappeared the last
More than that will
disappear the next
The Media Are Already Forecasting
What Will Happen Next
They scare people
with bad news!
However, there will
be a truckload of
new jobs and
people that have
The Right Skills!
Some major corporations (like
Siemens) are introducing their
own Apprenticeship Schools
(sort of Community Colleges)
because they are giving up for
schools to do the right thing!
Our schools need to rethink
what skills they offer to their
This number is supposed to climb
to 5M in the next few years!
• How many schools are preparing their students
for Smart Factories and Smart Cities?
• The answer is:
Only a handful!
So, What Are The Right Skills?
(at a high level)
• Being technologically & IT / IM savvy
– Knowing how to install, program, operate,
maintain and repair robots, drones, CNC
machines, 3D printing machines, etc.
• Being autonomous ready
– Knowing how to operate/function without
supervisors, managers or other “superiors”
• Being sociable and approachable heartened
Our Current Era Has Many Names
• The Digital Age /Digital Economy
• The Conceptual Age
• Creative Disruption / Creative Economy
• The Shared Economy
• The Virtual Age / Virtual Economy
• The Relationship Economy; E2E or Collaborative
• The Cognitive Era
• The Petabyte Era, etc.
• Small Ma & Pa stores, small job shops, small
(specialty) boutiques, flower shops, garages,
and other small businesses will survive due to
the nature of where they are located, the
offering that they provide, and the timeliness
of their service. So, we are NOT addressing
those types of businesses that are typically
less than $10M in annual revenues. The
world will always need the “niche players”.
The Digital Age Creates New Lead
Generation Engines On A Regular Basis
Traditional (Outbound) Marketing
+ Guerrilla Marketing
+ Digital Marketing (incl. Social
Media & Content Marketing)
Over 80 lead generation engines!
Most SMEs use <6 engines!
(on the average)
… And It Is Even Bigger Than This:
Everything You Wanted
and You Were Afraid to Ask …
(And Eventually All Devices Will Be Removed)
Order anything, charge anything, check anything, act on anything, learn anything …
Any time of the day, any time zone, any place, any language, any currency …
#4: Mass Personalization
Mass Customization: Offering
a menu of options for the
customer to choose from.
Allowing the customer to
It’s about offering UNIQUE EXPERIENCES
--- adapted to individuals’ interests and
Add to all of the above: Online Community (through Social Media), CRM type data
base that captures preferences, frequencies, special requests, customized content,
personalized invitations, expedient (same day) deliveries, etc.
… one legendary Google Engineer is saying
this will be as transformative as the discovery
of electricity! Leading research firm McKinsey
and Co. is predicting that this tech represents
a mind-boggling $19.9 TRILLION opportunity.
Why Start Now?
Because IoT Is A Journey
• A Smart City usually needs a plan for a 20 year
implementation. Why? Because there are too
many pieces to it. The plan includes:
– Smart poles
– Smart energy grid and smart power
– Smart cameras and traffic signals
– Smart infrastructure and connections
– Smart instrumentation and decision making, etc.
(The 4th Industrial Revolution)
and data exchanges
and networks that
monitor and control the
physical processes, with
feedback loops), the
Internet of Things and
• Saves prototyping time
• Saves assembly time
• Saves materials
• Builds intricate designs that could not be
• Saves logistics time and costs (packaging,
warehousing, loading, transporting,
There Are Infinite Applications
have built a
house in less
than a day!
Now they can
robots and 3D
Creative Disruption Is All About
Innovation and Invention
A whole new industry is born: 3DM as 3rd parties capable of
manufacturing parts for several other corporations. This is a
new form of Outsourcing, based on the concepts of
The Digital Economy and Shared Economy!
Can SMEs Utilize Such Technologies?
• Any technology that will allow you to increase
productivity, connectivity, flexibility,
responsiveness … and security is useful
• Any technology that will help improve quality,
dependability, time-to-market, speed,
relationships … and price is useful
• And don’t forget improvements in reputation,
credibility, brand image and trustworthiness
Two Great Starting Points
1. Social Media
– Lead generation engines
– Networking and relationship building
– Reputation building
2. Cloud Computing
– Data Management
– Storage Management
– Shared Information Management
– Shared Knowledge Management
There Are 3 Ways To Prepare For The
1. To Prepare For The Future You Need To
Shape It -- Or Someone Else Will
– It’s self-explanatory
2. Become Future-Ready
– See next slide
3. Build-out the missing pieces
– See next slide
• Prepare yourself and your employees for an
automated future and world.
– Learn-learn-learn; absorb, internalize, externalize
– Digital and media literacy are paramount
• Hire the best and brightest
– High IQ-EQ-SQ, high cognitive, interpersonal,
innovation, critical and decision making skills
• Stay in tune and in touch with what is going on
• Adopt leading edge technologies
Why SQ-EQ-SQ Are Needed
businesses do NOT
measure all three.
rewarding IQ alone
is a major mistake!
Build-Out The Missing Pieces
• Move to the Cloud; connect to the IoT
• Belong to someone’s (a big corporation’s)
• Start automating
• Utilize the latest technologies
– Utilize state-of-the-art or cutting edge
technologies (not bleeding edge)
• Create the right environment and culture