1. Verbs Like the sun , verbs are the energy of the sentence. They are often, but not always found at the center of the sentence. A sentence cannot exist without them .
2. Here are three kinds of verbs you should know: Action Verbs Linking Verbs Helping verbs
9. A helping verb is used before an action or linking verb to convey aspects of possibility (can, could, etc.) or time (was, did, has, etc.) may might must be being been am are is was were (main) do does did (main) should could would have had has (main) will can shall
17. AV HV+ Adv. AV HV LV Sentence structures Subject Verb The rest of the sentence We spent a day at the beach together. They haven’t + discussed the problem. He can + be a quarterback.
19. Subject Linking verb Information about the subject That sounds wonderful. The Internet remains a positive tool. The article is about using the Internet.
21. be, seem, appear feel, look, sound, taste, smell become, grow, get, turn, come, make, prove, turn out, go, run remain, keep, continue, stay, rest, stand, sit, lie Three kinds of linking verbs. S T A T E state quality with sense of feeling in sense of becoming in sense of remaining
22. true, easy, (all) right, natural, cheap, alive, open, loose, undone bad, wrong, blind, mad, dead, sour, red, green cold, green, sour fine, clear true, interesting, a success a good actor, a fine soldier ill /sick, asleep, dark, silent low, wild, high, short Linking verbs adj. / n. / past participle go come turn turn out prove make fall run
23. Linking verbs adj. remain calm, silent, young, single, unfinished keep calm, silent, still, cool, fit, fresh stay calm, young, warm, single continue calm, stubborn stand still, high, firm sit straight, cross-legged lie still, open, quiet, thick
27. Completing the following passage, using linking verbs. Last Sunday our class went to the park for a picnic. It ____ a fine day. The air _______ fresh. The trees _______ green and the grass ______ thick on the ground. We talked and played. All of us applauded for Li Ming’s English song “ I have never had a dream ______ true.” How relaxed we all _______ after a week’s hard work! We cooked our lunch on the open fire. Soon the food ______ great! The meat _______ delicious. The vegetables and fruit _______ inviting. While eating someone suggested another picnic on May Day. It ________ a good idea. Everyone agreed.