7. Social Media in Learning 7
● Sense-Making: deeper meaning, significance of what being
● Social Intelligence: connect to others in a deep and direct way,
to sense and stimulate reactions and desired interactions.
● Novel & Adaptive Thinking: proficiency at thinking and coming
up with solutions and responses beyond that which is rote or
● Cross-Cultural Competency: ability to operate in different
● Computational Thinking: translate vast amounts of data into
abstract concepts and to understand data-based reasoning.
8. Social Media in Learning 8
● New-Media Literacy: critically assess and develop content that
uses new media forms, and to leverage these media for
● Transdisciplinary: literacy in and ability to understand concepts
across multiple disciplines
● Design Mindset: represent and develop tasks and work
processes for desired outcomes
● Cognitive Load Management: discriminate and filter
information for importance, and to understand how to
maximize cognitive functioning using a variety of tools and
● Virtual Collaboration: work productively, drive engagement,
and demonstrate presence as a member of a virtual team.
9. Social Media in Learning 9
10. Social Media in Learning 10
Century Teachers ?
13. Social Media in Learning
“A group of Internet-based applications
that build on the ideological and
technological foundations of Web 2.0,
and that allow the creation and
exchange of user-generated content.”
"Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media"
Andreas Kaplan and Michael Haenlein
14. Social Media in Learning
“Media that are created,
on the Internet by people.”
15. Social Media in Learning 15
Brian Solis and JESS3
The Conversation Prism 2.0
32. Social Media in Learning
What is Google Apps for Education ?
● A set of cloud services offered by Google for
educational institute for free.
● Web-based email, calendar, documents for
collaborative study anytime, anywhere.
● Hosted at Google Data Centers, managed by the
● 99.9% availability SLA
● Very secure
● Your data belongs to you.
33. Social Media in Learning
● Cloud is new for some people.
● They may not be comfortable with it.
● Cloud is about self-service.
● Less customer/tech support from vendor.
● SaaS cloud is continuously upgraded.
● New/discontinued services
● User interface
● Changes may need to be handled.
● TCO can be very low.
● KKU saved 15 mil. baht. of investment.
34. Social Media in Learning
Q & A
Kitt Tientanopajai, D.Eng.
Assistant to the President for IT, KKU