1. Save Today. Safe Tomorrow
By Kelvin Kizito Kiyingi
A Presentation made at the C.N.
Kikonyongo Money Museum, Bank of
Uganda, Global Money Week, Kampala.
Pillars of Money Literacy
Creating a Personal Savings Plan
Detailed Savings Discussion
Control: Living Within Your Means
Key Ideas About Money
3. Money: Extremely Crucial in Life
• Key Lesson: It is very important in life. When you are young money is bad;
source of all evil. It is how you use it that determines whether it is good or evil.
Most important decisions in life about money
5. Guiding Principles for Saving Money
Key lesson: Have a deliberate plan to save money, for example, by saving a
percentage of your income. A saving plan will help you reduce on your expenditure,
by first ‘cutting’ on the non-essentials.
• Set Your Savings Goals
• Make Room in Your Budget
• Decide Your Priorities
• Automate and Manage Your Savings
6. Set Savings Goals
• Identifying objectives for saving will help you
get started. You need to have a timeline for
each of your savings objectives.
• Key Lesson: Goals give motivate to save, they give you a purpose to
save, especially when you celebrate after you have achieved them.
7. Record Your Expenses & Make a Budget
• Recording all your expenses will help you
know how much you spend.
• Key Lesson: Tracking your expenses enables you to budget for your
savings and limit over-spending.
8. Priorities & Right Savings Strategy
• Deciding your priorities will be help you choose the appropriate savings strategy.
Some goals are easier to achieve; others are short-term whereas some might be long-
• Key Lesson: A scale of preference will enable you rank your savings goals in order of
priority. You will choose savings strategies accordingly.
9. Manage Your Savings
• Check your savings status periodically.
• Key Lesson: Tracking your savings can be a source of inspiration, especially if you
become a habitual saver. You could even end up saving more.
10. Behaviour & Attitude: Crucial for Success
Behaviour and attitude help to anchor expectations, to influence perceptions and
the ability to achieve
• Control your money
• Increase Earnings or
•The key to effectiveness lies
influencing private sector
• Positive Thinking
• What man has done, man
• Do not quit
Behaviour & Faith
• Expectations have to be
linked to your objectives
• Expectations influence
perception & degree of
achieving your savings
11. Control: Living Within Means
Save and Don’t touch
Make Saving a Habit
Be informed/Read good
Set up an Emergency Fund
Record/Track your income
12. Key Ideas About Money
Money Menu Need Vs. Want
Self-discipline & Self-Control: Budget, Priorities, Savings Plan, Manage Your
Savings, Living Within Your Means
Avoid unnecessary expenditure by distinguishing between needs and wants
Aiming to spend less always, review all your expenses periodically
Malachi 3: 8-10