SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
• Connaught Place is one of the largest financial, commercial
and business centers in New Delhi. It is often abbreviated to
CP. It was developed as a showpiece of Lutyen’s Delhi with a
prominent Central Business District.
• CONSTRUCTION work began in 1929 and was completed in
LOCATED AT CENTER OF THE CITY.
NEAR KAROL BAGH
The Inner Circle of Connaught Place is Rajiv Chowk while the
Outer Circle became Indira Chowk
Prior to the construction of Connaught Place, the area was a
ridge, covered with kikar trees and populated with jackals and
wild pigs. Residents of the Kashmere Gate, Civil Lines area
visited during the weekends for partridge hunting
Headed by W.H. Nicholls, the chief architect
to the Government of India, the plans
featured a central plaza based on the
European Renaissance and in the Classical
style. Completed by Robert Tor Russell
Connaught Place's Georgian architecture is
modeled after the Royal Crescent in Bath.
While the Royal Crescent is semi-circular and a
three storied residential structure, Connaught
Place had only two floors, which made almost
a complete circle intended to house
commercial establishments on the ground with
residential space on the first floor
Three important nodes enclosed in
hexagons of the same scale
India Gate: the hexagon being its
Government House: the hexagon
being the layout of roads around it.
Connaught Place: the hexagon
being circumscribed about a circle
this circle being the outer circus of
C.P. was the original commercial centre of Delhi.
It attracted visitors from all corners of Delhi
It houses important institutional and public buildings which include hospitals,
libraries, art galleries, heritage sites, temple, hotels, schools and college.
•Its circular form makes it stand out
from the layout of the area around.
•Wide roads were planned in and
around Connaught Place even
though they were not required since
the traffic consisted of horses, horse
carts and few cars. This has proved
to be a boon for coping with today’s
large traffic volume.
•The lavish design of CP provided for
large open spaces and have proved
to be valuable public spaces in
•The Grand Scale and architectural
character of Connaught Place makes
it stand out amongst the buildings
which surround it.
Starting with Barakhamba Road , which
connects Connaught Place to the Mandi House
circle, which is the cultural centre with many
Kasturba Gandhi Marg which connects it to the
India Gate Hexagon and the Rajpath.
Janpath. This is one of the most educationally
and culturally important streets in all of Delhi.
Its home to the Eastern and Western courts,
the National Archives , IGNCA and the National
Parliament Street. It has
the Indian Parliament
and Connaught Place. as
its two terminal points.
The leading monetary
and financial institution
of the country The
Reserve Bank Of India
also lies on the Sansad
One would also find the
‘observatory’ The Jantar
Baba Kharak Singh
Marg and Panchkuian
Baba Kharak Singh
Marg plays host to
many state emporiums
like Lepakshi,etc .
old MARKET of
Paharganj to CP.
Connaught Place with
its three concentric
circles and seven radial
roads initially designed
Was converted into
one-way with 4-
enteries and 3-exits
A number of parking
lots were also
generated to serve
those through radial
The Jantar Mantar is located in the modern city of New Delhi.
It consists of 13 architectural astronomy instruments. The site
is one of five built by Maharaja Jai Singh II of Jaipur, from 1724
onwards, as he was given by Mughal emperor Muhammad
Shah the task of revising the calendar and astronomical tables
Completed in 1724, the Delhi Jantar Mantar had decayed
considerably by 1867.