2. • Hand Held Metal Detector
• Parts of Hand Held Metal Detector
• Principle of Hand Held Metal Detector
• Testing of Hand Held Metal Detector
• Use of Hand Held Metal Detector
• Specification of Hand Held Metal Detector
• Advantage of Hand Held Metal Detector
• Disadvantage of Hand Held Metal Detector
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN...?
3. WHAT Is Hand Held Metal Detector...?
A handheld metal detector is a security device useful for physical
inspection of human traffic and small luggage and bags. The handy
design improves its functionality and the high-end technology detects
the presence of metals in any form including fragments. The detected
metals can be produced for thorough inspection.
•It provides mobility to security personnel
•The handheld detector is quite convenient to use
•It is helpful in the manual inspection of human traffic
•The detector can search concealed metal, pieces and fragments
•It sends an alarm signal in the form of infrared light and sound
•It is suitable for checking small handheld bags and luggage
4. Parts Of Metal Detector
Parts of HHMD
● Power Indicator(LED)
● Sensing Coil
● Battery Section
❖ The weight of HHMD should not exceed-250gm.
❖ It detect-05 gm of metal
5. Specification of HHMD
• Should be able to detect metals without being in
direct contact with it.
• Operating temperature : 0 – 45 degree centigrade
• Weight should not exceed 250 gms
• Should be safe for pacemakers
• Should have both audio and visual alarms.
• Easily disposable / replaceable / rechargeable
• Indicator to indicate battery status.
6. Principle Of Metal Detector
• Hand held metal detectors work by using
electromagnetic fields to detect the
presence of metallic objects.
• In simple words, they are used for metal
detection through electromagnetic
7. TESTING OF HAND HELD METAL DETECTOR
• Must be tested before each search
• Check that battery is fully charged
• Hold detector 2.5 cm (1”) from watch, belt buckle or
metal object and test that it is detecting presence of
• Adjust audio control knob as necessary
8. Use Of Hand Held Metal Detector
● Ensure the HHMD is working properly.
● Greet passengers and ask for permission to frisk
● Ensure passenger is not holding or carrying any items
● Passengers shall empty their pockets for all metallic items, place these in
a tray / divestment container and pass through X-ray or search physically.
● Ask the passenger to stand on the platform if provided.
● Demonstrate to the passenger the correct way to stand if required.
● Stand slightly to one side of the passenger and hold the metal detector
approximately 01 inch (2.5cms) from the body.
● Move the detector over the entire body systematically (front & back)
● If the alarm sounds, ask passenger to check the area and to display any
● Re-scan the area to confirm that all items have been removed.
● Frisking of a lady to be done by lady only.
9. Advantages of HHMD
● Helps in Identifying Metals both ferrous and non
● Easy to use
● Touch free checks for passenger
● Quick and user friendly
10. Disadvantages of HHMD
• Cannot detect non metallic item
• Cannot detect non metallic replicas of prohibited items. Materials or
components of IED may not be identified.
● Cannot detect plastic explosives
● May malfunction and give false alarm