1. James L. Dalton, MBA
Cell: (508) 400-0567 Email: JLDVette@aol.com
Accounting & Finance Professional
Controller / General Manager / Director of Finance
Automotive / Healthcare / Manufacturing / Import-Export / Financial Services
Over 20 years of diverse, progressive experience leading accounting and finance teams to greater productivity,
efficiency and proven results. Received an MBA and passed the Illinois CPA exam. Qualifications include:
• Multiple Company Financial Reporting • Team Building & Relationship Management
• Finance, Budgeting & Cost Management • Visionary Leadership
• Financial Analysis • Entrepreneurial Drive & Vision
• Cash Flow Management • Process Redesign & Optimization
• Mergers & Acquisitions • Productivity & Efficiency Improvement
• Contract Negotiations • Continuous Improvement
• Project Management • Staff Training & Development
Proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Reynolds & Reynolds, and ADP Systems
Controller 2007 - 2008
LOU FUSZ MOTOR COMPANY, St. Louis, MO
Recruited by CFO to provide assistance to 2 General Managers and to manage the accounting offices of 2 stores
and determine if the offices could be merged into one reducing staff and personnel expenses. Responsible for all
accounting functions from GL, A/R, A/P, recordkeeping through month-end close and preparing the financial
statements. Directly managed 2 Office Managers and 15 support staff.
• Realigned organizational structure by merging 2 offices, reducing 3 FTE’s and eliminated $100,000 per year
of personnel expenses.
• Redesigned general ledger accounts for Kia store into a format like GM’s chart of accounts. Project was
started and completed while closing FY books. New account structure aided personnel’s understanding of
both stores when offices were merged.
• Designed a month-end closing schedule and check list. Shared information with management and all
accounting support allowing month-end close time to be reduced by 2-3 days from prior years.
• Reviewed, redesigned and implemented new purchase order system in 2 stores. Project required consensus
by management and understanding, and training by all management and staff personnel involved.
CLAIR MOTORS, West Roxbury, MA 2001 - 2006
General Manager 2006 - 2006
Promoted to lead and manage transition phase of new acquisition. Responsible for evaluating and directing all
day-to-day operations toward building revenues and profits while waiting for approval by GM to relocate store.
Recruited, trained and led staff of 30 through 5 department managers.
• Grew new vehicle sales gross revenue and units sold by more than 100% monthly. This was accomplished
by creating new sales compensation plans, reviewing and changing advertising focus, implementing
department forecasting, reviewing forecasts with management and holding management accountable for
2. • Delivered an increase in Service gross revenue of more than 14%. Grew revenues by reviewing and
changing advertising, implementing departmental forecasts and cold calling on new business opportunities.
James L. Dalton, General Manager Page Two
• Led management team through acquisition phase, installing new processes and procedures, evaluated
personnel and improved departmental relationships.
• Designed and implemented new vehicle check-in list and procedure which eliminated confusion regarding
vehicle’s status and reduced the time to process new vehicles arriving from the manufacturer. Procedure and
check-in list were so effective that both were modified to accommodate used vehicles taken in on trade and
arriving from auction.
Assistant Controller, Clair Toyota & Clair Buick-Jeep 2001 - 2006
Recruited by CFO to manage all the office accounting functions for 3 stores/companies consisting of 7 franchises.
Recruited, trained and managed 15 direct reports.
• Reduced overhead expenses by $2-4,000/month by evaluating and training personnel, improving processes
and procedures, and developing a month-end schedule and check list.
• Eliminated 2-3 days in the month-end close process by further developing personnel, scheduling and
following up on status of month-end tasks, restructuring processes, improving the DMS and communicating
and working with management about month-end concerns.
• Improved accuracy and reliability of accounting records and reports by reviewing accounts at month-end with
staff and making any adjustments before each month was closed. Results were achieved by assigning
accounts to each staff member based on area of responsibility and expertise. This resulted in an excellent
working relationship with the staff and improved moral.
• Received Business Management Guild Award 4 consecutive years from Porsche for reporting timely and
accurate results each month to the manufacturer.
• Created new general ledger account structure and departmental reports to improve the evaluation of
departmental financial performance for Clair International. Project consisted of developing new GL chart of
accounts for 4 franchises, each consisting of 4 departments. Reports and new GL structure aided owners
and management in evaluating financial performance of each department and comparing like departments.
Comptroller 2000 - 2001
HERB CHAMBERS FORD, Braintree, MA
Recruited by Corporate Accounting Manager to manage all the accounting and financial reporting functions for the
dealership, truck center, body shop and rental car company. Evaluated, recruited, trained and managed 10 direct
• Eliminated office overtime expenses of $3,000/month, $36,000/year through training, restructuring duties and
processes, and monitoring daily hours and tasks completed.
• Reduced telephone expenses by $2,000/month, $24,000/year through line by line expense evaluation and
comparative analysis of vendor and services provided against competitors.
• Uncovered misuse of assets in rental car company from comprehensive review of rental agreements, parking
tickets issued on rental cars and monitoring the status on the inventory of vehicles.
• Redesigned processes of the sales and business office delivery process resulting in a 10% increase in sales
and quicker delivery of vehicles to customers at the time of sale.
• Illinois State University MBA, Business
• Illinois State University BS, Finance
• NADA Dealer Academy General Managers Program
Businesspersons Between Jobs, February 2009 – Present
3. Serve on and perform as: Emcee, New Member Orientation Presenter, Resume Review Committee
Crossroads Toastmasters, Charter Member/Treasurer, CC, CL, Speech Contest Winner, March 2009 - Present