1. Tom Jones as a Rebellious
Presented by: Riddhi S. Jani
Paper: 2, ‘The Neo-classical Age’
Roll No: 28
Submitted to: English Department,
• Henry Fielding was well known
novelist & drametist.
• Born on April 22, 1707 in
• Educated from Eton College.
• Trained in Law.
• His literary career was began in
• Best known works are Tom
Jones, Miscellanies and Amelia.
• He criticized Government and
• Died on October 8, 1774 in
3. About novel
• This novel deals with
Tom’s life and nature.
• Major themes of this
novel are: Tom’s
love, Villainy of some
people, hypocrisy &
4. Tom- A rebellious young man
Tom- an anti hero or protagonist.
Society see him as ‘not virtues, but rebellious’.
Tom leads his life according to his own way.
Basically a kind and loving fellow.
He has his own perspective about goodness.
5. Why rebellious?
• Tom- A foundling child
• Allworthy takes care of him.
• He constantly steals apples and ducks from his
house, but by good intension.
• Many people remains dissatisfied by Tom, on
the other side some remains happy also.
• Blifil- Tom’s biggest rival. He harasses Tom very
6. Tom’s fights
• His first fight is naturally
• Blifil tells Tom ‘bastard’.
• With Mr.Fitzpatrick also, he
• This second fight becomes
more serious, in it Tom stabs
Mr.Fitzpatric with sward.
• Gets imprissionment.
• Very much angry person.
7. Wild Tom
• Tom lives quite wildly, he has
thrown away all manners of
• Yet, he is full of emotions.
• At the time of Allworthy’s
illness, his feelings comes
• When he gets recovery Tom
becomes so happy and he
• His this drinking is called
8. Tom’s love affairs
• His such nature also comes out
because of rebelliousness.
• through out his journey he makes
numerous affairs with various
women, but he truly loves Sophia.
• He behaves gallantly with all that
• He used to take risk for women.
• But behind his such nature his
• May be he would find his mother’s
face in all that women.
• Always remains hungry for
9. Rebellious for Society
• Society and it’s people plays vital role to make
Tom rebellious. So, for society he is rebellious.
• Actually he is not rebellious but innocent
• He fights for right.
• Only his ways are different. So only few people
can understand him.
• He is called ‘rebellious’ because he doesn’t
show his emotion and goodness to society.