SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
Scribd wird SlideShare ab dem 24. September 2020 verwaltenAb diesem Datum verwaltet Scribd Ihr SlideShare-Konto und alle Inhalte, die Sie auf SlideShare haben, und die Nutzungsbedingungen und Datenschutzrichtlinien von Scribd gelten. Wenn Sie Ihren Vertrag kündigen möchten, schließen Sie bitte Ihr SlideShare-Konto. Mehr erfahren.
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 2
profile of UAE
& rural life
12/6/2016 3Central University of Karnataka
Profile Of UAE
12/6/2016 4Central University of Karnataka
7 emirati states
Discovery of oil in 1950: bahrain;1962 Abu Dhabi
started exporting oil
Merly depende on pearls and fishing
Gulf war in 1991 ,UAE helped to Kuwait
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 5
• June to September is the hottest
• average maximum temperature is
• average minimum temperature
will be in between 10 to 14 degree
• average rain fall in coastal area is
• in 2004 very first time snow fall
occurred in UAE
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 6
state population (in
Dubai 2.56 (nov5,5016)
Abu Dhabi 2.33
Ra's Al Khaimah >. 25
Umm Al-Quwain 0.062
Top 15 tourist places in Dubai
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 7
Burj Kalifa Burj Al Arab The World island Dubai mall Fountain
Dubai creek Palm island and Atlatis
wild wadi water park Dubai
Mall of the
beach & hotel
• early history ;BRONZE(3300B..C-
1200B.C),IRON AGE (˘1200B.C-
• coming of Islam:630AC
• colonial history:december2,1971
Recent Events :
presidency of abu-dhabi and Dubai
UAE have member ship in GCC
a major donar for Africa and Asia
for underdeveloped areas
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 8
federation of 7 emirates
presidential system: president of UAE: Khalifa
bin Zayed Al Nahyan(ruler of Abu Dhabi)
vice president :HH SHEikH MoHaMMEd bin
RaSHid al Maktoum (Prime Minister of the
United Arab Emirates and Ruler of
power over areas
legal system based on both law and Islamic
FSC is the highest authority
president and vice president will be elected
once in 5years
nation's judiciary is Nation supreme court
sharia's court and nation's secular court
• freedom of speech and freedom of
• 11 national daily newspapers,
• sensorship involves of local
• use of internet is punishable if it
violates social and cultural and
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 9
• enjoys high standard of living
• one of the freest economy in
• low trade barriers,open-
• 25% of oil and gas exports
contributing to GDP
• oil and gas exports expecting
half (˘50%) to GDP in 2017
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 10
Main Manufacturing Sub sectors
• Food and beverages
• textiles and clothing
• wood products
• paper products
• printing and publishing
• chemical and plastics
• non-metallic mineral products
• fabricated metal products
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 11
• Domestic economic policies by govt :free trade zones
• preomtes foreign manufactures to produce and export
with out trade barrier and high cost of manufacturing.
• may operate in tax free environment and with few
restriction on exports and imports .
• 3rd largest re-exporter in world .
• it includes :electronics,precious and semi precious metals
and stones ,base products,chemical products and vechicles
• 20th larger exporter in merchandise trade with 1.6% of
the world exports .
• likely chances are there to stop oil export to Asia and to
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 12
• UAE population : 9.16 million(world bank)
• emiratis : around 1.40 million19% (al munwateen)
• residense : around 7.94 million 81% (al wafeeden )
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 13
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 14
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 15
Religious events and holidays
Buildings of worship
Behavior in places of worship
12/6/2016 16Central University of Karnataka
Pre - Islamic religions
• 7th century:Zoroastrianism, paganism, and Christianity
• ISLAM:based on 7th century prophet Muhammad,who wrote
Quran,believed by Muslims as messenger to ALLAH(god).
• they believe the pillars of faith are
salat : praying 5 times a day
hajji : going to MECCA once in life time
zacat : giving charity to the poor
swam : fasting
about ISLAM'S holy book QURAN
people should treat QURAN with respect.
should not touch with dirt hands
if one sits on floor quran should be parllel to waist or lap.
should covered with dust cover,and should not keep anything
on it .
if QURAN is damaged it should be disposed off either burning or
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 17
• two categories in Muslims in UAE
Sunni's and shia's
• revoles around the mosque
• some offices and businesses close during pray time .
• FRIDAY is ISLAMIC holiday
• weekend days are Friday and Saturday.
• conservative dress should be there when Muslims
wanted to come to prayer in mosque.
• public display affection is prohibited.
• religious dietary should not encourage PORT and
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 18
Religious events and holidays
• MUHARRAM:1st day of islamic calender
• RAMDAN:last day of islmaic calender
• Eid AL-Fitr:celebration of fasting at the end of ramdan
• Eid AL-Adha:celebration of abrahams sacrifice
• Rabi al awwal:birthday of prohet muhammad
Buildings of worship
Sheikh Zayid Grand mosque : Abu Dhabi
• many mosques have fountain for ritual cleaning before prayer.
• many mosques does not allow for non-ismalic people.
• shoes should be removed before the entry of mosque.
• women should cover their hands and body and head ,clothes should not contain
people and animals images.
• should never chew gum and never smoke,laughing,talking,touching walls and books
• photography is STRICTLY PROHIBITTED.
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 19
♦ Gender issues
♦ Hospitality and gifts
♦ Food and eating habits
♦ Dress code
♦ Do's and dont Do's
12/6/2016 20Central University of Karnataka
•hospitality is core of EMIRATIS life.
•loyalty to tribe and family is important.
•they love to show their wealth through celebrations.
•another key value of culture is friendship.
•but a men and women friendship rare.
salaam aleikum - may peace be with you
wa aleikum as-salaam- and unto you
and they traditionally enquire about family.
during face-to-face communication they prefer direct eye-contact.
but foreign men should be careful to stare at EMIRATI women.
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 21
• many men prefer their
wife's and daughters to be
• UAE got 103rd rank out of
134 countries for gender
• women workers reduced
after oil discovery .
• high cost of dowry is making
women s single.
• participation of women in
business is 43%(66%from
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 22
Hospitality and Gifts
• invitations are rare from emirates
• but meetings are necessary with
• small gifts are acceptable but it
should not contain food and
• advisable to be punctual and to
remove shoes out of the home.
• men will meet in majlis-offered
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 23
Food and Eating habits
Dishes forming part of the Emirati
• Al Jabab bread
• Camel meat
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 24
• 3 meals a day : before 6 A.M;2 to 3 P.M;8.30 to 10 P.M
• males dont dine with women.
• eating commences when elder one starts.
• they have in cuisine :meat,fish,bread,dairy products.
• vegetable salad is common for meal.
• machboos is a popular dish.
• margooga is a stew from meat and vegetables and bread .
• chicken stew : dejaj murraq
• dej taha tha,kafta schwarma.
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 25
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 26thobe
Do's and Don't Do's
• Do remove your shoes before entering a mosque or a
• Do remember that as a Westerner you have a high profile in
public places and that your conduct will be observed by the
• Do give and receive items with the right hand. The left hand
is considered unclean.
• Do dress modestly.
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 27
•Don’t speak to, sit next to, or attempt to contact a member of the opposite
sex in public unless the person is a member of your family.
•Don’t make rude gestures. These are criminal acts in the UAE.
• Don’t consume alcoholic beverages in public places or offer drinks to Arabs.
•Don’t enter a mosque unless you have received approval for a visit.
•Don’t bring a search dog into a private dwelling. They are considered unclean
under Islamic law.
•Don’t take photographs of local people, especially women, without
permission. It is illegal and can be prosecuted.
•Don’t sit in such a way that you show the soles of your shoes or the bottoms
of your feet to an Arab.
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 28
Urban & rural Life
12/6/2016 29Central University of Karnataka
Urban issues Health care
• problems with rapid urbanization
• wastage from city
• ground water supply problems,relay
on desalination plants :causing co2.
• the wastage is going to pursian gulf
:which stood one of the most
• construction : high % of dust in air.
• most of the people want government
• this threatening the economy of the
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 30
garuntees free care for all citizens
free health care
must complete 9 years of
primary school :grade 1-5
secondary school : grade6-9
upper secondary school : grade
40% emirates attend fee based
Restaurants Street vendors
• serves international cuisine
• pork is banned for emiratis cusine
• but some foreginers need in pork :
cooked for them in seperate kitchen.
market place :
kidzania : in duabai mall
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 31
• must have license.
schwarma is famous food item .
in Dubai metro facility is there:70
♦ Typical household and family structure
♦ Malefemale interaction in emirates family
♦ Status of women
♦ Status of elders and children
♦ Marriage and divorce
♦ Family social events
♦ Naming conventions
12/6/2016 32Central University of Karnataka
• marriages among relatives
• around 10 people in rural households
• oldest male considered as the main authoritarian to that family.
• men are responsible for economic well being ;women are responsible for
• men and women are not allowed to be free each other they dine superately,sit
superately and have their superate wash rooms.
• they will not encourage women to go out of the country (˘wife's,unmarried
• will not allow women to live alone .
• access to credit cards and taking bank loans or engaging into business is tough
task with out permission of their husband.
• but they are in all sectors like cabinet,banks,arm forces etc ;participation in
Olympics also in past.
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 33
Status of Elders and Children
• elders are respected alot .but it is now decreasing due to urbanization and fast
moving culture of doing business .
• traditional forms of authority is weakening now a days.
• many families surrender their children to maids and nannies.
• much of life influenced by religion.
• daily study of QURAN is an integral part of their lives.
• recent reports showing that 42% of children neglected and 22% of the children
• to control government implemented federal child protection law and appointed
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 34
Marriage and Divorce
• average age of marriage is 26 .
• man may have up to 4 wife's ;but for second marriage on words he should get
permission from his past wife/wife's.
• either men/women may not marry non-Muslims.
• marriage with another country people are ended with divorce in 2013 (39%).
• men must pay dowry “mahr” :range 1USD to 13,600USD(9,11,200rupees)
• highest divorce rate (30-33%).
• men can have divorce without judiciary involvement;but not for women i.e:they have
to petition in court and have to gone through proceution.
• men are treated as real guardians of the children.
• if a women marry having their young children ;she should take care of them ;for male
children-10 yr;for female children-13yr.
• failed marriage is considered as women s fault;hard to get remarry
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 35
if they got male children they call for prayer :adhan.
they ensures that the child listen first the god name :ALLAH
in first week of birth father arranges party:aquiqa
they give silver to charity equals to the weight of the child.
the body should be buried after cleaning and wrapped with
body carried to mosque for prayer by male relatives.
after 3 days fallowed by death; males and females will superately
meet their relatives in their home.
the things and clothes belogs to dead person will be given to the
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 36
• common names: fathima , mohammadh
• name include :first name,fathers name,family name
• ex:khalifa (first name ),bin(son of),zayid(father name ),
for women: Hind (first name) bint Maktoum (father’s name) bin Juma
(grandfather’s name) Al Maktoum (family name) literally meaning Hind,
daughter of Maktoum son of Juma, Al Maktoum.
• after marriage: hurma Mohammad bin Ahmad Al Qasimi which means
wife of Mohammad, son of Ahmad, Al Qasimi.
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 37
• one should know and fallow the rules when he/she want to venture business in UAE.
• the terms and conditions of your business must be acceptable by UAE citizens.
• the behaviour should be accepted by people in public places.
• in case of restaurants and food habits special care should be taken .
• documents should be in Arabic language .
banned ethipoia meet
• may24,2016:tighten norms for import of fruits and vegetables from India.they assigned
APEDA(agricultural &processed food products exports developemnt authority) for
surveillance;48,591 tonnes of mango's imported from India.
• banned exports & reexports :strategic goods,arms military trade.
• ABU DBAHI: banned export of ground water;november16,2016.
• India banned export of rice to UAE (non-basmati);august4,2008
• november14,2016:4 days Indian festival:for the contribution of Indians towards UAE
12/6/2016 Central University of Karnataka 38
12/6/2016 39Central University of Karnataka
The floor is open
12/6/2016 40Central University of Karnataka