Over the last 2 months we’ve been partnering with Hyper Island to run the business transformation module of their Digital MA. The module has been a combination of talks from industry experts, using new tools and rapid group challenges. The big themes that have come out of the sessions are:
1. Changing culture. Changing processes, customer experiences and business models are underpinned by cultural change. Change is never “finished”, so focus on creating an adaptive and responsive culture.
2. Consumer led. The purpose of transformation is to better serve customers. Getting first hand insight into future customer needs is an essential input into your strategy.
3. Consistent Vision. To get people to support transformation, you need to develop a compelling vision for the future and stick to it. People won’t follow leaders who change their minds.
4. Iterate digital products. The innovators we met were all using iterative customer centred methodologies to define and create new products and services.
5. Execution beats strategy. Defining what needs to be done is easier than doing it. The hard work of transformation is about convincing people that change needs to happen and bringing them with you.
6. Invest in talent. Hiring a digital guru might feel like a quick fix, but to make change stick you need to build knowledge, digital skills and confidence with all your staff.
7. Transformation takes time. Quick wins demonstrate that change is achievable, but true transformation is a multi-year activity which means you need to be tenacious, persistent and in it for the long term.
Thanks to Erik Rodin from Hyper Island, all the students who participated and the industry partners for their inspiration. If you’d like to know more about business transformation or the work we did with Hyper Island please get in contact.