2. What makes this scene so Enticing
• Realistic lighting is used in this scene, although it
was filmed out doors, a spotlight was used to
further highlight Jennifer Lawrence’s face in the
beginning of the scene.
• The camera starts off from a low angle shot,
which then cuts on motion as she begins to look
around which ends up in a close up of her face.
• There is then an eye line match and we get to see
what ‘Katniss’ sees when she looks down
3. • Moves to an establishing shot of the surrounding
area, we get to see that the forest is on fire.
• Moves into some quick jump cuts, short shots to
convey the sense of panic that ‘Katniss’ is feeling
at this moment.
• Yet again it cuts on motion as she jumps down
from the tree onto the ground.
• Main lighting is now behind ‘Katniss’ to represent
• As she is running it would appear the it is being
filmed handheld because of the shaky movement
of the camera as she runs through the woods, but
in actual fact it was actually filmed on a track.
They have made it more shaky to convey a sense
4. • Zooms in onto a close up of ‘Katniss’s’ face as she
sees the flame ball approaching.
• We then have 4, cut on motion, jump cuts.
• 1. Selective focus on the fireball coming towards
• 2. Close up as she ‘Katniss’ sees it coming
• 3. As the fireball flies past her
• 4. we see just the flame again.
• 5. above shot of her ducking out of the way
• 6. Medium shot of both ‘Katniss on the ground,
and the fireball exploding behind her. Main focus
in on her but out the corner of our eyes we also
see the exploding fireball.
• Only one ball flying but we get to see it from
many different angles.
5. • Finally we have a cross cut onto the room
where the game-makers are working.
• The sound cuts out to a much more peaceful
• Lighting is a lot lighter, main lighting is from
• Only one side of the face is lit giving it a much
more sinister look about it.
• 3…2… there is not actual saying of 1 but the
audience is now counting in their heads,
expecting something to happen.