5. Vocabulary Question (iBT)
Growth, reproduction, and daily metabolism all require an
organism to expend energy. The expenditure of energy is
essentially a process of budgeting, just as finances are
budgeted. If all of one's money is spent on clothes, there
may be none left to buy food or go to the movies. Similarly,
a plant or animal cannot squander all its energy on growing
a big body if none would be left over for reproduction, for
this is the surest way to extinction.
The word squander in the passage
is closest in meaning to:
Taken from ETS
7. TOEFL iBT Listening Materials
These conversations and talks are typical of those
that occur on North American university campuses
8. Speaking Question Types
1. Question about a person, place,
object, or event.
2. Question about preference from
two possible actions, situations, or
(questions #3 & #4)
(questions #5 & #6)
9. Examples of speaking questions
1. Choose a teacher you admire and
explain why you admire him or her.
Please include specific examples
and details in your explanation.
2. Some students study for classes
individually. Others study in groups.
Which method of studying do you
think is better for students and why?
10. Writing Section of the TOEFL iBT
The Integrated Writing Task
1. Read a passage about an academic topic
2. Listen to a lecture related to the topic
3. Write a summary of the main points
The Independent Writing Task
• Write an essay about your opinion on an
11. Example of Writing Question
Do you agree or disagree with the following
Always telling the truth is the most important
consideration in any relationship.
Use specific reasons and examples to support
12. TOEFL iBT
Reading 36 – 56 Qs 60 – 80 min
Listening 35 – 50 Qs 60 – 90 min
10 Minutes Break
Speaking 6 tasks 20 – 30 min
Writing 2 tasks 50 min