• CASE STUDY OVERVIEW:- TATA MOTORS hired new MD Karl
Slym, the former head of GM , India.
• NISSAN MICRAAND ADVERTISEMENT:- Nissan was a global
automobile manufacture with no presence in India until 2008.
• TATA NANO AND ADVERTISEMENT:- Tata Group had a long
history in India. It was founded in 1868 as a trading company. Tata motors was
established in 1945.
• PRODUCTS AND CAMPAIGN COMPARISON:- Both Nissan
and Tata heavily utilised the traditional media and social media for increasing
awareness and sales.
• CHALLENGES AND SUGGESTIONS:- What are the lessons learnt
from these campaigns and how to use these learnings in future ?
CASE STUDY OVERVIEW
• NEW MD OBJECTIVES:- Push Tata Nano to other markets so he’s
looking after the results of previous campaigns launched by TATA so that he can
play a way forward.
• MEETING WITH SOCIAL MEDIA DIRECTOR:- Briefing about
social media campaign launched by TATA with MTV featuring RACE- STYLE
road trip where Facebook played a central role.
• NISSAN MICRA CAMPAIGN:- MD shown great interest in NISSAN’s
Micra hatchback car which started from a short Bollywood type film and aired
on Facebook page and Ranbir Kapoor played a vital role in campaigning.
• SOCIAL MEDIA EFFECTIVENESS?:- Social media Director had
one week to gauge and present insights how much effective were social media
campaign for Tata Nano and Nissan Micra?
• Ranbir Kapoor- Brand Ambassador.
• Featured in numerous advertisements.
• Both new and traditional advertising used.
• Social media-connections with wider youth
“Drive Simpler. Live Better”
SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN
• Short film aired on Social Media.
• Starring:- Ranbir Kapoor, Micra and
20 Indian Customers.
• Campaigning began in 2011.
• Placed ads in Times of India.
• Auditions throughout fall of 2011
• 4 minute film released on March 1,
• Not particularly effective- only 12000 Micras were sold between July 2010
and March 2011.
The New Star of India
• Became one of the top car brands on Facebook in India
• 2300 videos were posted online.
• Publicised in 3500 theaters, advertised in The Times of India.
• More than 500 test drives were booked via Facebook.
• Sales in Jan-Feb 2012 increased, peaking at 2198, but dropped after this peak.
IDEA GENERATION OF
“I saw families riding around on
scooters with kids standing up and
mother carrying a baby and decided to
do something about it. It started as a
quest for an affordable transportation
• In 2007 Ratan Tata announced his vision of producing low
priced car at 1 Lakhs.
• Substitute for the ones who drove two wheelers.
• Tata Nano was launched in April 2009 and dubbed as world’s
• Shaky start- results of delays & limitations in production
followed by incidents.
• By 3rd anniversary sales increased.
• In June 2012, Nano accounted for 32% of Tata passenger sales,
ahead of Indica Vista.
• Nano-hatchback-competed in segment A-Alto,800,spark.
• Publicity as “One Lakh Car” by mouth to mouth.
• Auto expo 2008- New Delhi & Geneva.
• Print & Electronic Media.
• Social Media- Facebook.
• In May 2012, Tata partnered with MTV to launch
“Nano Drive with MTV”.
• Media Role: 1.Traditional media.
• Campaign: 1.Ranbir Kapoor.
2.Campaign for Nano.
• Sales: 1.Domestic Sales.
• Sustain Social Media: 1.Engagement.
2.Make it more effective.
• Media Role: 1.Should be used for future campaign.
2.Resulted into effective campaign, can be used
• Campaign: 1.Celebrity ambassador for Nano.
2.Do not limit only to social media.
• Sales: 1.Increase market share.
2.Learn from Nissan.
• Sustain Social Media: 1.Engage Celebrities.
2.Launch more seasons.