SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
If you want to take market share…
Donna: customer of a competitor
• She suspects that her current distributor is charging too much
• Right now, she is angry because her shipment is 2 days late
• She is using a search engine to try to find alternatives
• She is using a range of search terms from generic (“cleaning supplies”) to specific
(“corrugated cardboard boxes 22h x 18l x 10d”)
• Her current distributor is making her look bad
Desired Features and Functions
I wonder if someone else can do a better • Find Acme site(s) via Google
job than the company I am buying from • Search and view catalog(s) without having a UID or PW
now? • Will search for specific products using Google
• For keyword query of a brand name, the internal search accurately displays results
• For keyword query of a commodity name (such as cleaning supplies), the internal search
helps Donna figure out what she wants
• Search results are formatted for easy “skimming”
• Search results summarize prices and availability for known products, regardless of
catalog or URL
If you want to increase customer loyalty…
Jolene: Procurement in Large Company
• Gets interrupted a lot
• Someone else tells her what to order – she does not make decisions about products
• Typically orders the same products repeatedly
• Typically knows the item # when ordering
• Less price-conscious
• Does not need to know a lot about the products she orders. Seldom visits a Product
• Heavy user of full reporting capabilities
• Each month, she rolls up her website purchasing reports into a certain custom format
for her company’s internal use
• On the job for 6 months, probably will leave by end of year
• Heavy computer and internet user, both on the job and in her personal life
• Hates reading a lot of text or making a lot of clicks. Hates it even worse when she has to
do it for her job.
• Hates figuring out words or terminology that she doesn’t know.
I just want to get in and get out. Desired Features and Functions
• Excel, CSV, or other native spreadsheet format that Jolene can easily edit
• Graceful website timeout; fast site performance; robust error handling when Jolene
makes a typo during checkout
• Easy way for Jolene’s successor to get a UID and PW, because Jolene didn’t pass it on
If you want to reach an under-served market...
Wile E. Coyote: Engineer, Carnivore
• Sometimes orders the same products repeatedly
• Other times, desperately searches for hard-to-find items for a very particular purpose.
Item might not be in catalog, item might be out of stock, or item # may have changed.
Wants to know if Acme could get it anyway, or get a similar item.
• Often refers to his or customer’s unique item #, may not be the same as manufacturer’s
item # or Acme item #.
• Not price conscious. Much more concerned with speedy delivery.
• Will use search engines to search for a specific product.
• He can’t find items that he ordered before.
• From reading descriptions of items he hasn’t ordered before, he can’t tell whether the
item is the right one for his specific project.
Sometimes I order the same things, like
dynamite, matches and rope. Sometimes I Desired Features and Functions
need things I’ve never ordered before. • A way to buy repeat items without searching for them in the catalog each time
But I always need it now! • System remembers correlations between manufacturer’s item number and Wile E.’s item
• Opt in to email notifications when frequently ordered items change, or have new related
• Detailed product descriptions, with the type of details that he needs