• Social Media: What’s changed,
• Why Social Media is important
• Express Guided Business Analysis
(or what’s your real product and
who buys it)
What is social media (really)
1.It is another plank of your marketing plan
2.It is about broadcasting and about
3.Most importantly, it is permission-based
“Give every man thine
ear, but few thy voice”
- William Shakespeare
Why is Social Media important?
1.Because it levels the playing field (it‟s
2.Because it is targeted
3.It can take on a life of its own
4. It’s where people are!
What Social Media has
changed and what it has
• Social Media has changed the means
• Social Media also allows two-way and
• Social Media has not changed the
need to know what your Product
• Nor the necessity to understand what
your customer‟s needs are and how to
meet those (It‟s not about you, it’s
Let’s think of this another way…
WHAT IS YOUR
What are their psycho-graphic
– *and what’s a psychlo-babli-graphli-wha?
• We are concerned with the
your clients‟ IAO variables
How to succeed in Marketing?
• Have a plan!
• Who are you targeting?
• What do you want them to do?
• How to reach them
The Big 4
• What is a „blog‟?
• Who should use them?
• Why they are important?
• What is it?
• Why is it important, and to whom?
• What your profile should look like
• The importance of dynamic content
(WP plug in)
• Yeah I know everyone‟s on it, but so what?
• How to suck at Facebook
• How not to suck at Facebook
• Personal Page versus Like Pages
Top FB hints:
1. Add the phrase 'hit the like button if this is useful'
when adding links to the wall.
2. When canvassing opinion, ask question that only
require a short answer, (i.e."Do you like the new
site?", rather then "What do you think of the new
3. When possible tag people to posts. "@Bill, I know
you'll like this...”
4. Ideally videos should upload directly to FB rather
then a YouTube embed so the Like button will
5. Links and pics are better than straight text links.
• The importance of a strategy
• Mobile Clients (integrating their social
• What is Twitter
• Who cares
• Is Twitter for me?
• Followers: how to get them, how to keep
them, and why quantity is only as
important as quality
Some tips for
• Watch your competition
• Link back to your blog
• Special offers keep people’s attention
• Twitter buttons
• Thanks followers
• Give credit
• Be honest and use your real voice
One final thought on Twitter
• Quality is as important as
Final Tips of Marketing
• Posts/tweets with “I” and “Me” do
• You are broadcasting, so it’s good to
think about your audience.
• Positive is better than negative
• Breaking news is very powerful
• Be careful with humor
• “politics, religion, and sex rarely
improve with discussion”
• Tumblr - for artistic types
• Quora - for consultants
• MySpace - For Musicians (gasp)
• Forums (or down the rabbit hole)
and don’t forget video
Video is getting bigger, but making it work can be tricky
A Couple of Success Stories...
• Will It Blend
• The Old Spice Guy
Did it work?
• “Will It Blend” Videos Boost Sales 5x
• Hey Old Spice haters, sales are up
How to choose your weapon
• Where are your clients looking?
• What kind of time do I have?
• What resources do I have?
• The Sales Funnel
What makes for good blog
• The „Would I read this or Watch Lost‟
• Brevity is Beautiful
• The role the Blog plays on the Social
• Be honest, be edgy and don‟t be
afraid of being specific
Other good ways to keep
people on the site:
• Related posts
• Featured Content
• Top 10 lists*
• *Good etiquette is to ask permission and give credit for all material that you use
from other peoples‟ sites.
We fix that thing!
Which of your clients‟
problems does your “About”
I solve problems!
Best Thingie in the world!
• Do nothing (hope it goes away)
• Hire someone
Come talk to us.
Offenbar haben Sie einen Ad-Blocker installiert. Wenn Sie SlideShare auf die Whitelist für Ihren Werbeblocker setzen, helfen Sie unserer Gemeinschaft von Inhaltserstellern.
Sie hassen Werbung?
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert.
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert, um den neuen globalen Regeln zum Thema Datenschutzbestimmungen gerecht zu werden und dir einen Einblick in die begrenzten Möglichkeiten zu geben, wie wir deine Daten nutzen.
Die Einzelheiten findest du unten. Indem du sie akzeptierst, erklärst du dich mit den aktualisierten Datenschutzbestimmungen einverstanden.