SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
Motivating and Inspiring
The Role of the Leader
1. Physiological Needs- food,
water, sleep and oxygen
2. Safety and Security- the need for
physical safety, order and
3. Social Needs- the need to belong and for
4. Esteem Needs- the need for self respect,
appreciation and recognition. 5. Self-actualization needs-
the desire to maximize ones
Meeting Hierarchy of Needs
The Role of the Leader
Understanding Staff Dynamics
Three types of teachers:
Superstars - these represent the top 3-10% of teachers in a school.
They are often effective and respected by their peers. These are
your teacher leaders. Know they want two things: autonomy and
Backbones - good, solid teachers and are the heart of the faculty.
Good stable hardworking teachers.
Mediocre - if they left, they could be easily replaced.
When dealing with school morale, start with your
superstars. Most want to start with the disgruntled but-
when the leaders are not happy, then everyone is
Creating A Good Climate
Rules- Avoid trying to alter the behavior of less effective
staff by implementing rules. The ones most likely to
follow it are the superstars, not the less effective staff.
Find other ways to work to improve ineffective staff.
When implementing a new rule ask these three questions:
1. What is my true purpose in implementing this policy?
2. Will it actually accomplish its purpose?
3. How will my most positive and productive people feel
about this policy?
Keys to a Good Climate
The leader is the one responsible for the climate.
• Be visible- lunch room, car loop, extracurricular
• Know your teachers strengths and respect a variety
• Know your staff- beyond the school
• Communication is key
• Have positive and productive staff meetings
Raise the Praise- It is What You
Say and How You Say It
“What people perceive is what they feel is the truth.”
Keep in mind:
• People do not want to be heard, they want you to listen
• Be aware of watching clocks, being distracted, not
making eye contact and working while they are talking
• It is important to show sincere interest.
“It is a fine line between giving someone a suggestion for
improvement and damaging the person’s psyche.”
The Friday Focus
The Friday Focus is a staff memo that when developed
and used properly can help provide management and
leadership for an organization.
When used correctly it can be a weekly moral booster.
What is in a Friday Focus
• Include a calendar of upcoming events- this gives your teachers
time to plan.
• Information you can tell your teachers in writing without taking
up valuable meeting time.
• You can use it for staff development.
• Quotes heard around campus-
“I am really enjoying my master’s cohort”
“I have already learned so much”
The Monthly Meeting- From Drab
“It is possible to have a staff meeting that staff members look forward
to and value.”
•Keep topics that can be handled in writing out of the meeting.
•Build an agenda with the staff
•Make sure the discussion affects most of the staff
•Stick to a timeline
•Always start and finish on a positive
•Have different teachers facilitate
•Have a lot laughs
More Friday Focus Success Tips:
• Use colored paper and always the same color.
• Create an attractive format you can use weekly.
• Make sure it is in staff mailboxes at the same time
• Post the current Friday Focus in the teacher’s lounge.
• Collect quotes, inspirational thoughts and cartoons.
• Make notes of things you see out and about.
• Include “Friday Focus Featured Folks”
This sounds really exhausting to
get it all done?
Praising your parents and students
makes you feel good too.
Remember to take care of
yourself. Find a passion and
allow yourself to enjoy it.
watch the great
Enjoy the good.
What is the best part?
“You have the power to make everyone feel like
Take care of your teachers,
Take care of your students,
Take care of you!