2. • The ﬁlm trailer UK version start with the name of
the distribution company.
• It also start with a slow RnB non- diegetic sound
• While the US version started with the MPAA rating
of R, which signiﬁes that this ﬁlm or ﬁlm trailer will
include foul language, violence and sexual scene.
3. • The UK version then cuts to an establishing shot, the smoke appeared in the mise
en scene connotes that there’s industrial area and all the lights signiﬁes that it is a
build up area. The diegetic voice over anchored that the place was London, in
• The US version then cuts to a long shot of a lounge which connotes the characters
involve in this ﬁlm will be the high/ middle class.
• The use of woman being standing on the stage entertaining the audience supports
Laura Mulvey’s theory male gaze.
• The UK version introduced the setting of this ﬁlm ﬁrst while the US hit the details
4. • The UK trailer then cuts to a long shot which shows a luxury car at that period of time, which echoes the
previous shot of the US version of the character being in middle/ high class.
• It then cuts to a mid- shot of two man, anchored by the voice over they are called The Krays. It was
denotes by the voice over that they are really well- known as every people have stories about them;
which also decodes that they will be the main characters of this ﬁlm.
• The US trailer then cuts to a mid- close up of two characters; the female asking the male if he likes being
a gangster, and the pull- focused close up of his facial expression denotes that he is a gangster.
• Again the UK trailer is introducing the setting, character and plot one by one, while the US trailer is more
like giving hints and all over the place, to let the audience to put the puzzle together themselves.
5. • The UK trailer then cuts to a mid- shot and then a close- up shot of which to anchored the voice
over of one of the main character saying “I’m here for a shoot out.” Which further reveal the
identity and echoes the question of the female from the previous shot of the US trailer that they
are in a gang.
• While the US trailer cutes to a mid- shot of a man going into a street from the dark side to the
bright side which is a signiﬁer of the character going back to the normal society from all the
• Then it cuts to the logo of the institution.
• In the trailer of the UK version most of the time it uses only natural and high key lighting while
the US trailer often uses low- key and artiﬁcial lighting.
6. • The UK trailer is selling more on the characteristic the plot of the
story, while the US trailer is selling more on the editing and effects of
• The US trailer includes more violence, explosion and action scene .
• The run down of the US trailer is relatively faster and it was rapid
succession of shots all along while the UK trailer was more relax and
only when it reach the climax rapid succession of shots started.