• Jamaica's rich history stretches back beyond the 15th century, and includes the settlements of
the gentle Arawak Indians (who named the island Xaymaca), Spanish mariners, English
conquerors, and Asian migrants, all of whom added to the multi-ethnic heritage of this
Caribbean island. Modern Jamaica is the land of reggae and rum, wearing a mantle of
roughshod romance that attracts travelers the world over looking to escape the routine of daily
life. The landscape is a mosaic of palmed golden beaches and a beautiful mountainous interior.
• Once the crown jewel of the British sugar empire, its coastal plains and lofty jungles are still
dotted with colonnaded mansions, thriving plantations, and ruins of others that did not survive
the slave rebellions. Many of the remaining mansions are now opulent inns flanked not only by
the sugar fields, but also by golf courses, while the beaches that once harbored ruthless,
notorious pirates now harbor vacationers seeking the perfect tan. And you'll note that music is
the heartbeat of Jamaica; nearly everywhere you go you feel its rhythm pulsing through the air,
the marketplaces, through the locals and, soon enough, through you. For vacationers with a
free and festive spirit, Jamaica is your place to shine!
5. Negril, Jamaica
• Situated along Seven Mile Beach, this is one of the best strands
of sandy beach on the island, and is known for its carefree
atmosphere. The pace is slow and laidback. Still, there has been
a boom in hotel construction that converted Negril from a hippie
hideaway in the 60s and early 70s into a mainstream tourist
destination good for families, singles, and couples alike.
• Visit Rick’s Café and watch the cliff divers or give it a try yourself.
• Taste authentic Jamaica jerk chicken at roadside jerk shack.
• Visit one of the beach bars and dance the night away.
• About an hour from airport in Montego Bay.
7. Couples Swept Away
• 4.5 Resort
• Offering an idyllic setting amidst lush tropical palm trees, fragrant gardens
and the pristine Seven Mile Beach, the adults-only, Couples Swept Away
provides a polished island hideaway catering exclusively to couples in love.
Fronting the bright blue waters of the Caribbean, guests are treated to
upscale verandah suites, a premier, 10-acre sports and fitness complex, an
array of water sports, a selection of open-air restaurants and dynamic bars,
nightly entertainment, unlimited golf and much more. In an idyllic setting
tucked amidst fragrant tropical gardens, breezy palm trees and the white-
sand beaches of Negril, Couples Swept away is a dream world of romance,
surf and spectacular sunshine.
13. Couples Swept Away
• Glass bottom boat
• Snorkeling tours, equipment provided
• Shopping tours to local craft market
• Catamaran Cruise (everyday except Sunday and Thursday)
• Trip to Margaritaville
• Unlimited golf
• Trip to sunset bar (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)
14. Couples Swept Away
• Dive into a world of wonder with the exceptional scuba diving program at Couple Resorts, Jamaica.
Known as a diving paradise, the Caribbean offers underwater adventures not to be missed. Explore
gorgeous Jamaican reefs such as "Shark Reef," "Coral Garden," and "Fantasy Reef" where tunnels and
caves beckon with bioluminescent displays and coral formations enchant with their colorful intricacy.
• During day dives, dolphins, trumpet fish, and sea turtles delight, while nurse sharks and barracuda
make a striking impression. The night dives reveal another spectacle as octopi sidle along, moray eels
swim in pairs, spotted drum fish and stingrays pass by within inches, while other colorful creatures of
the night come out of hiding.
• Couples is pleased to offer certified guests a deep dive in the morning and a shallow dive in the
afternoon. Reef destinations depend on weather and water conditions. On Saturdays, Couples offers
a two-tank dive in the morning. The popular night dives are offered for a charge of $50. Certified
PADI divers enjoy a complimentary dive once per day. A second daily dive is subject to availability.