• Out-of-the-box, which is faster, Linux or Solaris?
• There are many differences, it's basically a crapshoot.
I've seen everything from 5% to 5x differences either way
• It really depends on workload and platform characteristics:
• CPU usage, FS I/O, TCP I/O, TCP connect rates, default
TCP tunables, synchronous writes, lock calls, library calls,
multithreading, multiprocessor, network driver support, ...
• From prior Linux vs SmartOS comparisons, it's hard to pick a
winner, but in general my expectations are:
• SmartOS: for heavy ﬁle system or network I/O workloads
• Linux: for CPU-bound workloads