SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
what is media cwnso
Protecting you from reality!
Censorship: What does it mean ?
“ The suppression of speech, public communication, or other
information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable,
harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient. ”
“ The control of the information and ideas circulated within a society. ”
Why do we need it?
• To Protect against hate and violence.
• To prevents certain groups, religious sectors and people from getting
• To Protect children from unhealthy content.
• To provides us with a way to stop false content.
• To avoid virus and spam messages.
• To Stop illegal materials in internet.
• Some uneducated peoples may not know complex ideas in politics.
• To minimize risks in national security.
What are the platforms?
Censorship in media can be witnessed mainly via:
• Internet censorship is control or suppression of the
publishing or accessing of information on the
• Each Nation sets their own laws on censorship of the
internet. Some Nations are more strict than others.
• However, some nations like Mexico does not have any
internet censorship laws or filters.
• Cinema Censorship is the process of previewing a film and it includes a
decision either not to allow it for public viewing or to allow it for public
viewing with certain modification.
• Films can be publicly exhibited in India only after they are certified by the
Board, including films shown on television.
• With implementation of Cinematograph Act 1927,Indian censor board was
unified and reconstituted, as central Board of Film censor in 15 Jan 1952
(CBFC India is considered to be one of the most powerful film censor boards in the world due to its strict
ways of functioning.)
According to Motion Picture
Association of America(MPAA):
According to The Indian Censor
Alterations were made to the poster where SRK is
holding a Gatra Kripan in order to protect the
religious sentiments of Sikh group.
Kedarnath is still banned in Uttarakhand as the
government over there thinks that the film promote
The makers of Padmaavat changed the title of the
film from Padmavati to Padmaavat after getting
threatened by the polictical party Karni Sena
Stopped from releasing in the year 2015 by Delhi
court for allegedly hurting religious sentiments.
• Book censorship is the act of some authority taking measures to
suppress ideas and information within a book
• Censors typically identify as either a concerned parent, community
members who react to a text without reading, or local or national
• Books can be censored by burning, shelf removal, school censorship,
and banning books
In 1933, Nazis burned works of Jewish authors, and other works considered "un-German"
Banned in Yugoslavia and
Italy for being "too radical"
and was burned by the
The book was banned in
schools because it
questioned the existence of
Banned in certain districts
of California after a parent
challenged it’s “morbid
plot, crude language and
Who imposes censorship
From all these examples we learn that censorship is mainly imposed by:
• Leaders of democracy
• Military Officials
• Business Tycoon
Losses due to censorship
• The originality of the information may be reduced.
• It puts limits in learning.
• It represses one group of people in favor for what the majority wants.
• It prevents an individual from expressing themselves freely.
• Censorship is the suppression of Freedom of speech.
• Sometimes it ruins the creativity or artistic effectiveness of the thing.
• Once misused, censorship can violate human rights principles of freedom of speech and freedom of
• Due to complexity of censorship, the government needs to be prudent in using censorship to the best
interest of the society.
• It makes lose of Privacy.
• It can also be used as a means of suppression/agenda setting.
• There is lack of transparency under the Act itself.
• The total discretion is in the hands of the dominant body or
• Most of the time movies are not judged on the matter of contents
but on the political influences or the factors which would be affecting
the ruling party at the Centre.
• Now a days censorship has been used to prohibit those films which
really holds the real picture of the society.