2. What is Public Relations
• The term public relations is often confusing because it is frequently used
• According to many self-called PR practitioners as well as to managers publicity,
like public relations and corporate advertising, consists of promotional program
elements that may be of great benefit to the marketing. Continuing, they
recommend that the use of public relations in the promotion mix is a very good
idea taking into consideration that:
– public relation is a cheap mean of communication, because mostly is coming
free through publicity, and
– it is perceived by consumers as a more credible source than other media of
promotion such as advertising.
3. • As a result public relations is related to the promotional
activities, and is one technical activity used by marketing to
promote the image of corporations and products.
4. –Public relations practitioners need to be part of the total organization, in
surveying the environment and in helping to define the mission, goals, and
objectives of the organization.
– participation of the head of the public relation department in the dominant
coalition, for defining the mission and planning the present and future
strategy of the organization.
– The boundary role: they function as a liaison between the organization and
its external and internal publics. To put it in different words, public relation
managers have one foot inside the organization and the other outside.
– Public relations departments help organizations maintaining mutual lines of
communications, understanding, acceptance, and cooperation with their
Public relations is a unique management function
5. • The first step of strategic management of public relations is to - make a
list of the people who are linked to or have a stake in the organization
– after thoroughly researching their public(s) ranking them according
their impact on the organization or the extent to which the
organization believes it should moderate its consequences on them;
– plan ongoing communication programs with the most important
public(s). The communication activities between organization and
public(s), need to be based on the principle of symmetrical
• As a result communications, understanding, acceptance, and cooperation
with their public.