(BSHe is a Graduate of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology Major in Computer Technology and Bachelor of Secondary Education Major in English Language and Literature um SDSSU-Main Campus, College of Teacher Education, Tandag City, Surigao del Sur
Nature of Inquiry
Inquiry from a Latin word inquaerere literally means into seek is synonymous with the word
investigation that embodies the HOTS strategies (inferential, analytical, critical, creative and
appreciative thinking) to discover more understandable or meaningful things beyond such object of
your inquiry. The term “inquiry,” meaning, “search for truth,” appears not infrequently in writings by
philosophers but not so often in the work of social science researchers. The earliest known
philosophical writings are thought to have been written around 1500 B.C. Then, as now, philosophers
wrestled with questions about the nature of existence, knowledge, morality, reason, and purpose or
meaning. Teichman and Evans (1999) categorize some of the questions and topics that interest
philosophers in search of knowledge.
1. Metaphysics-Nature of Being
• Ontology — nature of existence and coming to be
• What is the nature of places, times, qualities, and events?
• The existence of God.
• The existence and identity of persons.
• What is free will?
• The existence of evil.
• Can mere humans know absolute truth?
• How do we know whatever it is we purport to know?
• How is knowledge related to truth and falsehood, to belief and evidence?
2. Ethics — values
• Morality and illusion
• Egoism and altruism
• Utility and principles
• Life and death
3. Politics — The State and Citizen
• Authority and anarchy
• Liberty and freedom
• Marx and Marxism
• Politics and feminism
4. Philosophy of science
• Methods of science
5. Logic — Inference and Argument
• Syllogistic logic & modern logic
• Propositional calculus
• Predicate calculus
6. Meaning of Life
Nature of Research
Research means to search again is a combination of empirical observation and logic. The
following discussion of research, inquiry, and related terms is based on ideas developed by the
philosopher Elizabeth Steiner, formerly at Indiana University. Research can be viewed from several
• As a process conducted by individuals and/or groups,
• As an established body of knowledge,
• As a purposeful procedure for settling doubt,
• As disciplined inquiry,
• As a collection of methods and procedures,
• As a set of assumptions, a belief system about what constitutes evidence.
Characteristics of Research
Scientific, Experimental, Inductive, Logical, Cyclical, Analytical, Critical, Methodical and replicable
Inductive Approach in learning research involves identifying the topic/problem, gathering data,
making theories, formulating hypotheses, analyzing data and drawing conclusions
Formative Assessment: (Quiz)
Directions: Read carefully each of the statements below and choose the letter of the correct answer.
Write your answer/s on your quiz notebook.
1. It comes from a Latin word that literally means into seek is synonymous with the word
investigation that embodies the HOTS strategies.
a. research b. inquiry c. probe
2. It means to search again is a combination of empirical observation and logic.
a. research b. quest c. discovery
3. Another definition of inquiry that depicts on the nature of existence, knowledge, morality, reason,
and purpose or meaning of life.
a. search for fallacy b. search for truth c. search for honesty
4. It involves numerical forms, objective thinking, statistical methods and measurement.
a. Qualitative b. Quantitative c. Experimental
5. It is a descriptive word pertaining to or denoting a number or symbol to express how many, how
much or what rank things are or have in this world.
a. Tabular b. Numerical c. Countable
6. One of the characteristics of quantitative research which is not included?
a. Objective b. translation c. analogous
7. It is a science that deals on nature of existence and coming to be
a. Metaphysics b. Logic c. Ontology
8. It is a science which deals on values embodying morality and illusion, egoism and altruism, utility
and principles and life and death.
a. Principle b. Ethics c. Politics
9. All of them are HOTS strategies in learning, except:
a. appreciative b. critical c. loquacious
10. According to Elizabeth Steiner, a former Philosopher at Indiana University. She believed that
be viewed from several different perspectives, except:
a. As a process conducted by individuals and/or groups,
b.As a purposeful procedure for settling doubt,
c. As a multidisciplinary in nature
In the context of inquiry and research, I learned that inquiry and research are interconnected
but they differed in a certain situation. For instance, inquiry was to ask specific questions with specific
answers. However, research will have to go deeper to find answer to a particular problem. Inquiry and
research are very significant in finding truth to solve problems and to propose effective intervention
scheme. I also learned that inquiry and research will help improved the psychology and philosophy of
human mind for logical approach and of scientific thinking. Furthermore, inquiry is a deductive
approach that defines general to specific structure of thinking, reasoning, asking and answering while
research is inductive approach that signifies a specific to general structure of finding an answer/s to a
problem. In other words, scientific thinking, reasoning and learning are products of inquiry and
research that essentially enhanced and developed our psychology and philosophy of life that we
should live with objectivity and open-mindedness and should not limit and defer finding the truth.
“Believe in yourself and crown your own success for you have faith in Almighty God to overcome
darkness and to live up your dreams in life”-Sir Pera.