2. • This subgenre combine the standard features of a
horror movie (blood death gore fear etc.) with
comedy aspects. This can also be cross into the
black comedy subgenre.
• The aim of a comedy-horror is to frighten the
audience but also has a comical channel allowing
the audience to laugh at their own fear.
• EXAMPLES: Shaun of the dead, Zombieland
3. • This subgenre focuses on relationships between
humans and unknown creatures (monster/s).
• Often it can be about a newly discovered creature
or an experiment gone wrong, in which a human
has created a monster.
• As well as horror, monster films are also associate
with sci-fi or fantasy.
• EXAMPLES: Godzilla, Frankenstein, The Host
4. • Slasher films tend to revolver around one
psychotic and bloodthirsty killer. It is concerned
with death and gory scenes, with the killer killing
in the most violent as well as memorable ways.
• The violence tends to be what separates slasher
films from other horror films as it has more
scenes dedicated purely to death and violence
than other horrors.
• EXAMPLES: Halloween, SAW, Hostel
5. • Zombie horrors are essentially all about
humans who have returned from the dead as
zombies. Often an apocalypse is involved and
involves the zombies taking over and perhaps
eating the humans.
• They are essentially the ‘living dead’.
• EXAMPLES: Night of the living dead, 28 days
6. • Teen horror is a subgenre revolving entirely
around the lives and actions of a group of
• They tend to have a large cast and incorporate
teen issues like sex, relationships, insecurities and
• They play on these issues and turn them into
• EXAMPLES: Prom Night, Scream, Texas Chainsaw
7. • In conclusion, after looking at there subgenres, I
believe my film would be super-natural horror as my
villain isn’t quite human and more of a demon.
• It has certain aspects of slasher, in that it is one
psychotic character, but there are few bloody scenes so
this is the vital slasher element missing.
• Our actress is a teenager and my film does deal with
issues like independence and moving out. Although she
is alone so isn’t typical of a teen horror, it could be
categorised as this all the same.
8. • Involves ghosts, demons, or other elements of
the supernatural including supernatural
occurrences or experiences.
• Elements that this subgenre involve are religion,
possession, the afterlife and often children.
• Supernatural-horrors can contain violence, but
tend to focus more upon the paranormal aspects.
• EXAMPLES: Amityville Horror, Sinister, Dark Skies