2. is a Registered Provider with The American Institute of Architects Continuing Education
Systems (AIA/CES). Credit(s) earned on completion of this program will be reported to
AIA/CES for AIA members. Certificates of Completion for both AIA members and non-
AIA members are available upon request.
This program is registered with AIA/CES for continuing professional education. As such, it
does not include content that may be deemed or construed to be an approval or
endorsement by the AIA of any material of construction or any method or manner of
handling, using, distributing, or dealing in any material or product.
Questions related to specific materials, methods, and services will be addressed at the
conclusion of this presentation.
3. Course Description
In January 2009, Ruggles Green opened the First Certified Green
in Houston. Since then, we have opened the only 4Star
Certified Green Restaurant in Texas and are now opening two more
4Star Certified Green Restaurants in Houston. This presentation
provides an overview of some of the how this was accomplished and
some of the lessons learned.
4. Learning Objectives
At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
1. Understand Criteria Needed to Become a Certified Green Restaurant
2. Understand the Rating System Used by the Green Restaurant Association
3. Understand the Types of Tools and Evidence Required for Documentation
4. Understand Key Lessons Learned for Becoming a Certified Green Restaurant
5. Former NAFTA Head of Quality, Environmental Scientist, and “Green Guy” at Bayer.
Multiple patents, awards, NAFTA Energy Efficiency Award in 2001. Now
“Green Guy” at Ruggles Green.
6. Why Restaurants?Why Restaurants?
Total Fluke. Helping local Restaurant toTotal Fluke. Helping local Restaurant to
lower utility bills. Decided to buildlower utility bills. Decided to build
Houston’s First Certified GreenHouston’s First Certified Green
16. Lessons Learned.Lessons Learned.
EcoProducts. Little Joy Recycling. UNFI.EcoProducts. Little Joy Recycling. UNFI.
Energy Star. Calculate ROI. Do YourEnergy Star. Calculate ROI. Do Your
Homework. Customer Experience.Homework. Customer Experience.
Survive first.Survive first.
17. More Lessons.More Lessons. 100% LED100% LED
(Phillips Rocks). Entouch Energy Mgmt(Phillips Rocks). Entouch Energy Mgmt
System. Grafik Eye. TX Solar Outfitters.System. Grafik Eye. TX Solar Outfitters.
Ecotality. Low Flow Sprayers. 100%Ecotality. Low Flow Sprayers. 100%
Wind Powered.Wind Powered.
21. Thank you for your time!
This concludes The American Institute of Architects
Continuing Education Systems Course
435 Wilchester Blvd.
Houston, TX 77079