BRAZILIAN CULTURE v STARTUP CULTURE
Brazilians only work 228 days a year and expect to pay double
• Brazilian law mandates that no one can work more than 44 hours a week without
receiving additional pay.
• Employees are entitled to a 13th month salary 30 days paid vacation per year and cost
employers an additional 40% in payroll tax.
1st time Brazilian founders and investors tend to be short-sighted
• The culture of young entrepreneur working for free for an experienced entrepreneur to
learn and establish a network, is not common in Brazil.
• 1st time Brazilian investors can handcuﬀ founders and push them to focus on revenue
• Most Brazilians are focused on the now instead of the long-term future.
Talented entrepreneurs are hard to ﬁnd
• Staying in the same job and moving up the corporate/government hierarchy is regarded
as the most eﬀective way to obtain wealth.
• However, a startup community with a higher appetite for risk is growing fast because
startups are now “TV cool.”
@2014 All Rights ReservedJoin us: @WorldStartupRpt