1. The Art & Science of Word of Mouth Marketing 03.26.2008
3. Amplified vs. Organic WOM AMPLIFIED A marketing campaign designed to encourage or accelerate WOM in existing or new communities. ORGANIC A natural occurrence when people become advocates because they’re happy and have a natural desire to share their enthusiasm.
15. The Network Affect Source : MotiveQuest, LLC Mavens – 20% of online influencers. Post very frequently and get their social worth from knowing and sharing Networked Opinion Formers – the other 80% of the online people looking for information Offline word of mouth. Get many of their options from their online friends because of the network effect
18. WOM Must Be Transparent and Ethical Types of Unethical Word of Mouth Marketing Stealth Marketing: Deceiving people about marketing being involved with a communication. Shilling: Payola for product promotion without disclosing you work for a company. Impersonating a customer. Infiltration: Using fake identities in an online discussion to promote a product. Defacement: Vandalizing or damaging property to promote a product. Falsification: Knowingly disseminating false or misleading information. Spam… of any kind Source : WOMMA
19. Think LESS about enhancing your BRAND image… … MORE about what’s of VALUE to WOM participants Psychology
20. WOM Marketing Types of Word of Mouth Marketing viral marketing buzz marketing community marketing grassroots marketing evangelist marketing product seeding influencer marketing cause marketing conversation creation brand blogging referral programs Source : WOMMA Give People a REASON to TALK … … make it EASY to tell others
21. The Ultimate Goal Turn Prospects into FRIENDS … … Customers into EVANGELISTS Friends into CUSTOMERS … Source : Seth Godin
22. Be Remarkable Be Interesting -- or Be Invisible! -- Andy Sernovitz Source : Purple Cow, Seth Godin Be Interesting -- or Be Invisible! -- Andy Sernovitz
34. Monitor and Measure Associations with “Plastic” Anya Hindmarch phenomenon Pyrex Glassware as Tupperware alternative Discussion around using canvas or reusing plastic grocery bags. Plastic Recycling habits Source : Nielsen BuzzMetrics
September 2006 was a turning point for me professionally. CBS announced its line up of fall shows. Laser-printed logo on 35 million eggs sold in supermarkets. They called it egg-vertising. Novel? Sure. Publicity generator? Huge. Disheartening: we all live with so much ad clutter… … do we really need to pollute and interrupt breakfast now to get noticed? What jazzes me about Word of Mouth Marketing is that it’s a TRANSFORMATIVE TOOL to conduct better, more responsible, interesting business -- not just SELLING STUFF. Based on HONESTY, EFFICIENCY, TRUST. Organizations of all sizes, private and public sectors can use it effectively.