• You will differentiate the concept, elements and characteristics of
belief system and world view religion.
Specifically, this module will help you to:
• understand the dynamics of the different elements and characteristics of the
belief system, world view and religion.
• appreciate the importance of one’s own beliefs and views as a believer of God
• apply these beliefs in your interaction with your fellowmen, the world, nature
3. The lesson will guide you in understanding the relationship of the
following concepts namely; Worldview, Belief Systems and Religion.
4. Worldview, Belief Systems and Religion
• Worldview – worldview is a set of beliefs used to understand the
world. The basic way of interpreting things and events that pervades a
culture so thoroughly that it becomes a culture’s concept of reality-
what is good, what is important, what is sacred, what is real.
• Belief system - are the stories we tell ourselves to define our
personal sense of ‘reality’ (the way things actually exist)
5. • Belief system shapes your worldview about the world, your
existence, and relationships with your fellowmen. In other words, “ a
worldview whether religious or nonreligious, is a personal insight
about reality and meaning, often termed a “life understanding” which
I may call a product of belief systems. Most often worldviews are
shaped by religions.
6. • Religion- Etymologically, the word came from ‘Religare’ - a Latin word
which means to bind fast or hold together, to secure, to bind,to fasten
together, to create a system of attitudes and beliefs.
7. Worldviews about man’s perspective of god.
1. Naturalism (e.g. Atheism, Agnosticism, Existentialism). It denies
the existence of God. The material universe is all that exist.
2. Pantheism ( e.g. Hinduism, Taoism, Buddhism; much New Age
Consciousness. They believe that only the spiritual dimension
exists. All else is illusion. Man is spiritual and eternal.
3. Theism (e.g. Judaism, Christianity, Islam). They believe that an
infinite, personal God exists. God created the real world. People are
created in the image of God.
8. 4. Spiritism. The world is inhabited by spirit beings who govern
earthly activities. Man is created by gods like the rest of the creatures
Material things are real but they have spirits associated with
5. Polytheism: This is the belief in many gods or deities. The culture
of Ancient Greeks and Romans depict this kind of beliefs.