SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
CHANGE AGENT PROPOSAL
January 18, 2013
Professor Dawn Sime
By: Trina Savage
CHANGE AGENT ACTION PLAN:
Hiring New Part-Time Office Staff
School of Arts and Sciences
• The School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) is growing rapidly with each term that occurs.
• In the past ten years since the opening of SAS has grown over 40% with the amount of students
• Office staff consists of the Office Manager, a Senior Administrative Assistant to the Dean and
one Graduate Assistant (is part time, 20 hours per week)
• SAS currently has 56 full-time faculty members and 67 adjunct (part-time) professors.
• The current office staff of 2 ½ supports the faculty.
• Other schools have a dedicated “Faculty Secretary” to work directly with the faculty and support
their needs while the office manager and administrative assistant work directly with the deans
on budgetary items, travel arrangements, and other administrative duties as needed.
• The School of Arts and Sciences needs this position to more effectively support the faculty as to
not let their assigned duties slip behind.
• Deans & faculty members have brought this topic up in faculty meetings recently, so they would
be on board with this change.
• The main obstacle I see for implementing this proposal would be from a budgetary standpoint,
since everyone is on board and this would be a welcome change to everyone involved.
• Faculty members would have their needs met in a timelier manner than the feeling of “take a
number”, almost like being at a deli and taking your service number.
• Of course, it would go without saying, that if for some reason the secretary is busy and cannot
get to the requests, office staff would help out in emergency cases, but this would alleviate a lot
of backlog that is being experienced by all.
• We are prepared to show a work load of both the office manager and the administrative
assistant that will substantiate the need for a part-time faculty secretary.
• Also included in this request is that the office manager is a long time employee and has as part
of her schedule to have 6 weeks off during the summer months, from mid-July to late August,
she is not here. Most days leaving the administrative assistant alone during the working hours
after the graduate assistant leaves for the day.
• Having this other secretary in the office will allow more time for the administrative assistant and
get more of her priority work done that needs to be completed before the opening day of
• We spend more than 20% of our time supporting faculty requests rather than doing our own
1) Hire part time secretary to help in covering office during the absence of full time staff such as
summer leaves, scheduled leaves and/or sick days.
2) Alleviate the work load from full-time staff from faculty requests to concentrate on budgetary
items, payroll and scheduling.
3) The graduate assistant hours are from 9am – 1pm Monday through Friday. The part time
secretary would ideally work from 12:30 – 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
4) The part time secretary would take on the following tasks from the full time associates:
a) Textbook Adoption forms
b) Conference Room Scheduling
c) Maintain and update Office Hours Schedules
d) Maintain and update Faculty Class Schedules
e) Maintain Adjunct Professor Mailboxes
f) Sort all incoming mail
g) Support faculty with both printing and copy requests
h) Request and maintain syllabi from faculty members
i) Create and maintain SAS Arts flyers for upcoming events
• Once the proposal is submitted and reviewed by management and the Provost office, and
approval is gained, both office manager and administrative assistant will announce a job posting
to find qualified candidates.
• Training will commence upon hire with the new secretary upon hire
• I would hope to have the new hire on board and trained by the Fall 2013 term
• Both office manager and administrative assistant will monitor the results of the new hire to
show that their workloads have been lightened so that they can concentrate on their job outline
and be able to work more effectively as well.
• Administrative Assistant will show that having the new hire in place will have a direct benefit
specifically during the summer months when office manager is on her annual leave.
• Faculty secretary will be supervised by both office manager and administrative assistant and job
performance evaluation will be performed by both.