What is a Spreadsheet?
A spreadsheet (or worksheet) is an arrangement of cells
in columns and rows used to organize, analyze,
calculate, and report information, usually in numerical
A workbook is a file which contains one or more
Spreadsheets Perform Mathematical Calculations
Do you or your family use spreadsheets?
Daily Uses of Spreadsheets:
Balancing a checkbook
Calculating car loans
Calculating student grades (helping students keep
up with their grades)
Why would a business use spreadsheets?
Financial statements for a business (profit/loss)
Designing a Spreadsheet
Cell – individual locations on a spreadsheet
(intersection of a row and column)
Column— identified by letters of the alphabet (vertical)
Column A refers to all of the contents in a vertical range of
cells in the first column of the spreadsheet.
Row— identified by numbers (horizontal)
Row 3 refers to all of the contents in a horizontal range of cells
on Row 3
A B C D
• A4:A16 refers to a group of adjacent cells
• A Range is a group/block of cells.
• example: A6:E16 refers to a range of cells in a specific
Cell Address: a specific location
• Cell A4 = Cell address
• It is the Column letter and Row number.
• The cell address is also called the cell reference.
• The cell that is selected
• It is the cell that is ready to receive information4