1. HELLO EVERYONE !!!
Today, we will tell you
about 3 problems :
->The Simple past.
->The Past Continuous.
->The Past Simple and
LET’S BEGIN !
2. PART I : The Simple Past
1) Form :
The form of the Past Simple is
the same for all persons.
--> We have 3 types of
sentences : Affirmative, Negative,
and the Interrogative .
3. •Affirmative and Negative
( Except Be ) :
Didn’t + Vo
4. - I watched The Project Runway on TV
last night .
- He didn’t wash his car .
-I saw her in the street 2 days ago .
- Samual didn’t go to school yesterday.
- She traveled to Japan last year .
- I loved him but no more .
- The director didn’t finish his work .
5. Note : Verb BE ( Negative )
For this verb ONLY, never use
DIDN’T. Simply ADD the word
NOT after the verb .
I was tired.
She was here.
I was NOT tired.
She was NOT here.
They were happy. They were NOT happy
6. • Interrogative :
I, you, we,they,
he, she, it
- Did she eat that cupcake ?
- How did you do that ?
- Where did you go last night ?
-->Short answer : - Yes, I did
or – No, I didn’t
8. For REGULAR verbs, simply use the –ed
form of the verb in a positive sentence.
When I was a child, I ___________ the piano.
Donna ______________ and _______________
in Paris when she was younger.
of REGULAR verbs :
The normal rule is to add –ed or –d :
Some short verbs with only one syllable, we double
the consonant :
For verbs ending in a consonant –y, we divide into 2
o If before Y is a consonant, we turn Y I, then add –ed.
o If before Y is a vowel, we add –ed as normal .
10. For IRREGULAR verbs, use the correct
past tense form in positive sentences.
Last week, I ___________ you
The student _______ a gift for
their teacher on her 30th
11. Here are some Irregular verbs :
Was / were
12. PART II : The Past Continuous
We have 3 structure :
S + was / were + V-ing (present
Participle) + O
S + was/were + not + V-ing (present
Participle) + O
(WH-question) + Was/were + S
+ V-ing + O ?
**Short answer : Yes, I was / No, I wasn’t.
- My mom was trying to call me last
night, but I wasn’t home.
- The kids were studying last night at
-I was cleaning my house all day
- They were NOT arguing last night.
- Were she going there yesterday ?
14. Important Note about
Past Continuous !
Some verbs are NOT typically used in the
continuous tense. Instead, we prefer to use
these verbs in the simple tenses (simple
present or past).
These verbs are called STATIVE (or nonaction) verbs. Here are some examples: