1. SOCRATES GOMEZ
⛬San Diego, CA, USA � +1 (858) 248-1624 � email@example.com
Ambitious customer-oriented International Sales Manager with mechanical design skills and
progressive experience in the automation assembly, consumer products, and material
characterization industries. Principal strengths include innovative designs through detail-oriented
approaches, and decision making with strong analytical techniques, forecasting, cost-control
management and logistics. High strategic-thinking, business startup procedures, with expertise in:
● Rapid Prototyping ● CRM ● Spanish and Portuguese
● New Product Development ● Manufacturing Techniques ● Customer Support
● Cost-control strategies ● Sales Forecast ● Logistics
QUANTUM DESIGN | San Diego, CA 2002/Present
A 30+ years American multinational scientific instrumentation company that develops equipment for material
characterization using cryogenic platforms for magnetics, electrical, and thermal measurements with offices
in 29 countries which also includes sales for distributing a variety of high-end measurement systems from 80+
North America Sales Manager
Focuses in expanding sales in Mexico, USA and Canada (NAFTA countries), introducing new products while
penetrating different markets. Maintains order review and verification procedures, providing International
Partners sales support, cost-control, and forecasting
● Support Sales and Service with a focus on import/export logistics.
● Develop systems and protocols for forecasting and pricing updates through CRM On-Demand.
● Introduce international trading partner’s complimentary products in new and existing markets.
South American Sales Manager
Develops, solicits and closes new accounts, generates sales quotations, responds to customer inquiries and
provide support to American and International Sales through technical advice and business expertise.
● Expat from 2011 to 2013 to assist and create a South America Sales and Service office (located in Brazil) to
provide support throughout that territory, now responsible for 21+ countries. Focused on import/export
procedures, business permits and registration licensing, hiring and training protocol for staff, market
expansion through introduction of new and complimentary product-line. Created lead-follow up systems,
maintained labor-laws compliance, and cash flow projections.
● Expand the South American market opening new territories while maintaining existing clients.
● Utilize strategic selling skills to maximize revenue, identify new markets and achieve higher growth,
developing new accounts through trade shows and sales visits while identifying new trading partners.
● Assist customers with price and configurations inquiries increasing customer satisfaction and product lead-
● Apply technical and sales knowledge in direct support to customers, reviewing purchase documentation to
insure compliance with technical and commercial sales terms and conditions.
● Incorporate checklists and procedures to review different system requirements and configurations avoiding
component’s incompatibilities while improving overall efficiency.
2. SONY ELECTRONICS | San Diego, CA 2000/2001
A multinational Japanese company Sony’s Factory Automation Division output was achieved through sales,
service, and support of robotics and surface mount technology (SMT) equipment.
Technical Sales Engineer
● Administered and supported sales routes for robotic and SMT products, controlling a client base of
distributors and integration companies while maintaining steady growth and customer satisfaction.
● Provided technical assistance and maintenance support to new and existing robotic clients, resulting in an
increase of sales and a decline of downtime on product repairs.
● Streamlined international sales relations and customer support between Mexico and Japan, improving
communication and production.
● Increased the overall production quality and performance of Automated Optical Equipment in Mexico by
providing training, upgrades, and program development.
UC BERKELEY Integrated Manufacturing Lab | Berkeley, CA 1998/2000
Development of web-base design tools for rapid prototyping and innovative manufacturing technology.
Mechanical Engineering Graduate Researcher
● Analyzed manufacturing workholding and clamping techniques. Minimized clamping procedures and
reduced machining time by characterizing the fixturing capabilities of a vacuum chuck.
UC BERKELEY Laser Thermal Lab | Berkeley, CA 1997/1998
Investigated mechanisms of laser interactions with materials at micro- and nano-scales and studied
thermophysical phenomena with applications to MEMS devices.
Mechanical Engineering Research Assistant
● Facilitated experiments (i.e. pulse laser sputtering technology) that explored behavior of deposition in thin
films, to analyze a material’s conductivity capabilities as a semiconductor.
● Improved vapor depositions experiments by designing and building specialized lens holders, thermocouples,
and high-precision measuring devices.
M.I.T. Field and Space Robotics Lab | Boston, MA 1997
Focused on the dynamics, design, and control of machine systems, robots, and manipulators.
Mechanical Engineering Research Assistant
● Designed an experimental force feedback setup for a tele-operated robotic arm installation of a nozzle
dam, used as a plug in nuclear power plant reactors during maintenance, for reducing human exposure to
hazardous radioactive levels.
● Fabricated and designed an anti-slip handle to aid robotic end-effector manipulation.
SONY ELECTRONICS | San Diego, CA 1996
The group Mechanical Engineering Design was responsible for the design and manufacturing of new 32 and 20-
inch television models.
Mechanical Engineering Intern,
● Assembled and prepared design sets for quality tests, mainly 32” and 20” television models, successfully
passing preproduction and product release requirements.
● Facilitated in supervision of new console model preproduction phase, in which a new cell-assembly mode
was implemented, resulting in an efficiency increase with minimal rejects or defects.
● Updated design drawings, tested and evaluated television prototypes, and discussed new design ideas with
vendors and engineers improving product release turnaround time.
● MBA, San Diego State University (2008)
● MS, University of California Berkeley, Mechanical Engineering (2000)
● BS, University of California Berkeley, Mechanical Engineering (1998)