3. WHAT IS
A printer is a device that
accepts text and graphic
output from a computer
and transfers the
information to paper,
usually to standard-size,
8.5" by 11" sheets of
paper. Printers vary in
sophistication and cost
4. HOW A PRINTER WORKS?
At the basic level, printers work by converting digital images and text into physical copies. They
do this using a driver or specialized software that has been designed to convert the file into a
language that the printer can understand. The image or text is then recreated on the page
using a series of minuscule dots. The only real difference between various types of printers is
the method by which the dots are transferred onto a page.
6. 1) TYPS OF IMPACT PRINTER & IT`S
a) CHARACTER PRINTER:
• Print one character at a time
• Slower then line printer.
• Also known as serial printer.
Use: Today, these printers are rarely used because of speed
issues and because only text can be printed.
ex: daisy wheel , dot matrix printer
Dot Metrix printer
7. 1) TYPS OF IMPACT PRINTER & IT`S
b) LINE PRINTER:
• Can print one line at a time.
• Can not print graphics.
• Make a lot of noise.
ex: chains, drums and bands.
Chain printer drum printer
Use: Although they have been replaced in
most instances by high-speed laser printers,
they are still used in some business as they
are low cost and have the ability to print on
8. 2) TYPS OF NON-IMPACT PRINTER &
a) INKJET PRINTER:
• It has a print head that sprays ink using small nozzles on
• Good for high-quality images and graphics.
• Can produce both black and white and colored prints on
• Good for personal use.
• Its slow if you need more than one page.
• Make less noise.
use: inkjet printer is use for home, photographers, and
Since inkjet printing doesn’t need a warm up time,
they’re easier and more convenient to use in office
9. 2) TYPS OF NON-IMPACT PRINTER &
b) LASER PRINTER:
• Printouts are resistant to water.
• Faster as compared to dot matrix and inkjet printer
• Makes no noise while printing
• Its Expensive
Use: Businesses use laser printers
almost exclusively because they have the
reputation of being reliable while making
a quality print product.
10. 2) TYPS OF NON-IMPACT PRINTER &
c) THERMAL PRINTER:
• It use heat for producing the image on the paper.
• popular for to their speed, advanced tech and high quality
• Do not use ink .
• Less expensive.
• Come in deferent sizes.
Note: thermal receipt paper has different layers of heat-
sensitive chemicals that create text or images.
Use: Because of it`s technological advances it has
become increasingly popular and is mostly used
in airline, banking, entertainment, retail, grocery,
and healthcare industries.