3. WHAT IS HYPERLOOP?
• It is the new form of transportation between long distances.
• Hyperloop consists of a low pressure tube with capsules that are
transported at both low and high speed throughout the length of the
• It is a high speed train transporting at a speed of 800mph which is twice
as the speed of a commercial plane.
He is also the creator of PayPal, SpaceX
as well as the CEO & CTO of TESLA
This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND
This Photo by Unknown Author is
licensed under CC BY-SA
• Due to high traffic US Government proposed a high speed train between San
Francisco to Los Angeles
• In past Robert Goddard proposed using vacuum as a medium of transport
thereby attain great speed without high friction losses but there’s a lot of
possibility of leak. And when there is a leak it will lead to the whole system
• Elon Musk thought of overcoming it by maintaining low pressure rather than
vacuum & using electromagnetic suspension.
• It consists of a compressor fan, compressor motor , sound bulkhead, sitting
place ,a battery.
• The maximum width is 4.43 ft. (1.35 m) and maximum height is 6.11 ft. (1.86
m). With rounded corners it is equivalent to a 15 ft2 (4.57 m2 ) frontal area ,
not including any propulsion or suspension components.
• The tube is made of steel. The two tube will be welded together in a side
by side configuration to allow the capsules to travel in both directions.
• Pylons are placed every 100 ft. (30 m) to support the tube. Solar arrays
will be cover the top of the tubes in order to provide power to the
• The inner diameter of the tube is optimised to be 2.23 m which is small
enough to keep material cost low while large enough to provide some
elevation of choked air flow around the capsule.
• The tube cross section arear is 42.2 ft2 giving a capsule/tube area ratio
of 36% or a diameter ratio of 60%.
• Linear accelerators are constructed along the length of the tube at various
locations in order to accelerate the capsule
• Stators are located on the capsules via linear accelerators.
• On the other hand , the compressed air is sent to the back of the capsule to
get more speed and propulsion.
• Suspending the capsule within the tube presents a substantial technical
challenge due to transonic velocities.
• Conventional wheel and axle system become impractical at high speed
due to friction losses and dynamic instability.
• A viable technical solution is “ Magnetic Levitation ” and another one is “
Air Bearing suspension ”.
16. AIR BEARING
• Air bearings offer stability & extremely low drag at feasible cost by
exploiting the ambient atmosphere in tube.
• When the gap is high between a ski and the tube walls reduced the flow
fields in the gap exhibits non linear reaction resulting in large restoring
• The increased pressure pushes the ski away from the wall allowing it to
return at basic height.
• Fast (air)
• Environment friendly( rail ,
• Inexpensive ( air )
• Sustainable ( solar energy )
• Runs through the median of
existing high way
• Ready when the passenger is
ready to travel
• Tube pressurization
• Turning will be critical with large radius
• Less movable space for passenger
• High speed problems like low blood pressure , vomiting.
• If any disaster happens , then it will be difficult for the passengers to get
• Safety compromised
• As it has number of advantages , it will be very helpful in transporting
public as well goods in a very short time ( at top speed of 1220kmph )
and also in low cost.
• It is a new concept so there will be some future work required for the
development of this project.