• The further an object is away from another object, the
force of gravity is weaker.
• The further an object moves from the surface of the
Earth, the less gravity it feels from the Earth.
• Scientists on the Space Shuttle experience
Mass and Weight are two
different Properties of Matter
Mass is a physical property
of matter that explains how
much matter is in an object
Mass does not change when
Weight is a force which is
calculated by multiplying the
acceleration of gravity times
Weight can change when
• IF YOU PULLED A MOUSE AND AN ELEPHANT WITH THE
SAME AMOUNT OF FORCE, THE ELEPHANT WOULD
RESPOND LESS TO PULLING EVEN IF HE DIDN’T PULL
BACK AT ALL
• THAT IS BECAUSE AN ELEPHANT HAS MORE MASS THAN A
• An elephant on the Earth would weigh less on the
Moon, because gravity is less on the moon.
• An elephant’s mass would not change if he went to