• The word Naturopathy is derived from Latin
word Natura means nature and Greek word
Pathos means disease.
• It is a Natural therapy which treats disease.
3. Indian context
• In India, naturopathy is seen by the Ministry Ayurveda,
Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and
• There is a 5½-year degree in "Bachelor of Naturopathy
and Yogic Sciences" (BNYS) degree that was offered by
twelve colleges .
• The National Institute of Naturopathy in Pune that
operates under AYUSH, which was established on
December 22, 1986 and encourages facilities for
standardization and propagation of the existing
knowledge and its application through research in
naturopathy throughout India.
• Naturopathy is a form of therapy, which excludes
medicinal and surgical agents and depend entirely on
natural forces such as light, water, air, heat massage etc.
(Butter worth medical dictionary)
• Naturopathy is a system of primary health care that
emphasizes prevention and the self-healing process
through the use of natural therapies.
(American Association of Naturopathic Physicians)
5. • Naturopathy is the healing power of nature.
• Our body is made up of five elements i.e, earth
water fire air and ether. The imbalance among
these is responsible for disease. The treatment
of various disease with the help of these five
elements is called Naturopathy.
(Ancient Indian health science dictionary)
6. It is a holistic system which believes that good
health is not the same as the absence of
disease and that promoting a general state of
wellbeing through dietary principles, lifestyle,
exercise and other techniques is an effective
way to manage our physiological systems.
(British Naturopathic Association)
• Hippocrates, the father of medicine ( 460-357
B.C.) strongly advocated it.
• The modern methods of nature cure
originated in Germany in 1822, when Vincent
Priessnitz established the first hydropathic
10. • The credit for the name Naturopathy(1895)
goes to Dr. Benedict Lust ( 1872 - 1945), and
hence he is called the Father of Naturopath.
• In 1901, Lust founded the American School of
Naturopathy in New York.
• Adlof Just(1959-1936) the author of Return to
nature is one of the famous naturopath
12. • In 1910 the Carnegie Foundation for the
Advancement of Teaching published the Flexner
Report, which criticized many aspects of
medical education, especially quality and lack of
• The advent of penicillin and other "miracle
drugs" and the consequent popularity of
modern medicine also contributed to
• Now it is a recognized system.
13. • Naturopathic Medical Schools
In 1956 the National College of Naturopathic
Medicine is founded in Portland, Oregon. In
1978 Bastyr University is founded in Seattle,
Washington. In 1993 the Southwest College of
Naturopathic Medicine and Health Sciences
opens in Tempe, Arizona.
• The revival of Nature Cure started in India by
translation of Louis Kuhnes book "New Science
• Shri Shroti Kishan Swaroop of Bijnor translated
this book in Hindi and Urdu languages in about
• Shri D. Venkat Chelapati Sharma translated the
book in Telugu language in about 1894. This
gave a vide propagation to this therapy.
15. • Later on, Gandhi was influenced by the book
"Return to Nature" written by Adolf Just and
become a firm believer of Naturopathy.
• He not only wrote several articles in favour of
Naturopathy in his newspaper "Harijan" but
did its several experiments too on himself, on
his family members and on the members of
16. • Due to the influence of Gandhiji several
national leaders joined this method of
treatment in which the names of
• Ex. Prime Minister Shri Morarji Desai,
• Ex. Governor of Gujrat Shri Mannarayanji,
• Ex. President of India, Shri V. V. Giri.
17. • The Great Baths of the Indus Valley civilisation
as discovered at Mohen jodaro in old Sind
testifies to the use of water for curative
purposes in ancient India.
18. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• Naturopathy aims at educating people for
following healthier way of life and protect
themselves against disease by natural
methods like mud therapy hydrotherapy etc
19. • To attain positive or superior health and
maintain the health by means of natural
• Toxins accumulated in the body are causative
factors for acute and chronic disease which can
only be cured by means of nature not by
• To maintain a positive relation between man
20. Different types of naturopathy
• Mud therapy
• Chromo therapy(use of colors)
• Acupuncture etc
25. Different opinion according to
different schools of thought
• Lui kuhme from Germany was cured by
malignant cancer by nature care. He is
considered as the father of hydrotherapy,
spinal bath, sitz bath, hipbath etc.
• Adlof just brought an idea about naturalism.
He advocated that all human are like animals
so there is no need to live artificially.
26. • Hippocratus said that Let food be the medicine
and medicine be the food.
• Vincent Priessnitz adopted hot and cod bath as
a natural treatment.
• Johannes Schrooth from Czechoslovakia was
Inspired by Vincent Priessnitz and adopted
methods like hot and cold bath
• Mahatama Gandhi adopted fasting as a natural
27. Panch Mahabhuta Siddhanta
• Naturopathy believes in treating the disease by
panch Mahabhuta .
• Our body is made of 5 elements so we can
adopt them to treat the body.
• The disease are caused by faulty habits of
person and accumulation of toxins in the body.
So these should be eliminated from the body by
adopting natural substances
28. Mud therapy Prithvi mahabut
• Hydrotherapy Jala mahabut
• Helio/sun therapy Agni mahabut
• Pranayama Vayu mahabut
• Fasting Aakash mahabut
• This is adopted by Indian scholars of nature care
29. Basic Principal of Nature Cure
1. Acute disease is a remedial one
2. Body heals itself.
3. Main Cause of disease is enervation
4. Deposition of metabolic end-products in the body is disease.
5. Exercise or physical activity keeps the balance between
nutrition and drainage.
6. External treatment whether natural, allopathic, ayurvedic or
homeopathic- give only relief, do not cure.
7. Food is a building material, does not increase vitality,
8. Fasting provides an opportunity to the body to heal itself.
9. Patient's own Faith, will to get well & determination are
necessary things for nature cure treatment.
10. Germs do no cause the disease but are found in the disease
30. Principles of Naturopathy
Body heals itself
Every second that we’re alive, the cells in our
bodies are endlessly working to bring us back to a
natural state of homeostasis or equilibrium.
When we turn to medicines or physical
manipulations of our body’s systems to heal us,
we are really only facilitating our bodies’ natural
ability to heal from within.
Therefore healing is a biological process that
always originate form within
31. Deposition of metabolic waste is the
main cause of disease
• Deposition of undigested food as a result of
• When you smoke cigarettes, many chemicals
enter your body through your lungs. Burning
tobacco produces more than 4,000 chemicals.
Nicotine , carbon monoxide , and tars are some
of these substances
32. Food is a building material and do not
• Vitality refers to one‘ ability to live or exist.
• Food, after all, is a powerless substance to
build flesh, blood, bones and nerves.
• It is this mysterious life force that decides
which and how much of foods supplied to the
body, shall be built up into body tissues, which
suggests that it is the body, not food, which is
33. Fasting does not cure disease but
helps body to heal itself
• Defined as complete voluntary abstinence
from tang any king of food for particular time
in order to gave rest to digestive track.
• So it is a opportunity to body and GIT to have
rest an heal itself.
34. Germs do not cause disease but
found in disease conditions
• Germs are not causative factors of disease. The
body has its own defences and if germs enter
the healthy body, they are immediately killed or
made ineffective by the body. The body has
ingenious series of defences.
• Tonsils act as filter to protect the body from
invasion of bacteria and aids in the formation of
white blood cells which are body’s defenders.
35. Prevention is the best cure
Naturopathic physicians emphasize the
prevention of disease
• assessing risk factors
• lifestyle interventions
• Proper diet etc
36. Exercise or physical activity keeps the balance
between nutrition and drainage
• Life is activity and this activity is essential to
build strength. Exercise is essential to
development and maintenance of vital
structures. Exercise is essential for
development and maintenance of vital health.
37. External medication like Allopath, Ayurveda h
Homeopathy give only relief but does not cure the
• Peacefulness and quietness of the mind play
an important part in recovery.
• Mental satisfaction is much more important
than external treatment or activity.
• So they stress on the relaxation exercise, Yoga
38. Patient’s own will power, determination and faith
are necessary for nature cure treatment
• Acc to naturopathy health comes by healthful
living and not through medicines.
• Feeling of healthiness is health.
39. Naturopathy and Present era
• In present-time environment, pollution in the
cities has reached a dangerous level. Modern
life-style and the highly competitive work
culture give rise to acute stress, acute tension.
• Day by day our life has become artificial and at
present we are far away from nature. We ignore
direction of the nature.
• Therefore now a days it is rare to find out
perfectly healthy person.
40. • By Naturopathy we make ourselves healthy and
satisfied by living in tune with nature.
• No use of drugs(ANTBOTICS)
• No use of surgery
• Focus on good dietary habits.
• No side effects
• Near to nature.