• BCI(Brain Computer Interface), often called Mind Machine
Interface(MMI) or Direct Neural Interface(DNI).
• It is a technology to communicate human brain directly to a
computer or any communication device without any physical contact.
• The history starts with Hans Berger’s discovery of electrical activity of
human brain and EEG in 1924.
• The research on BCI began on 1970 at the University of California Los
• The human brain is divided into two parts:
a. Cerebral cortex
b. Subcortical regions.
• Research focused on Cerebral cortex system.
• Cerebral cortex is subdivided into two hemispheres :
a. Left hemisphere
b. Right hemisphere
How Does BCI Works?
• The BCI works on the principle of Electroencephalography
(EEG) and fNIRS (Functional near IR spectroscopy).
• There are two methods to interface brain with computer:
• Generally EEG is preferred for the experiment .
• EEG uses non-invasive method.