Higher Education and Scholarship opportunities available for International students in Korea
1. Study in Korea: Global Korea
By: Prakash Devkota
PhD Scholar, Wonkwang University.
2015-2018 : KGSP Scholar for Master’s Degree
2018-2021: KGSP Scholar for Ph.D. Degree
2. 1. Higher Education Schools in Korea
2. Scholarships in Korea
3. Global Korea Scholarship
• What is global Korea Scholarship
• How to apply
• What are the benefits
4. Living in Korea
5. Employment information after graduation.
3. Get Ready for Study in Korea
• Set your goal
• Collect the information
• Apply for Admission
• Apply for a Visa
• Arrival in Korea
• Happy life in Korea
5. Scholarships in Korea
1. University Scholarships
• Most of the Universities in Korea offer Scholarship for International Students
• Generally, 30-100% of tuition fee depending on their academic results.
2. Scholarships from the Korean Government
A. Global Korea Scholarship (GKS): Korean Government Scholarship Program.
Filed Supported All Fields
Period of Support • 1 year Korean Language.
• 4 years for bachelors.
• 2-3 years for associate degree.
• 2 years for masters and 3 years for Ph.D.
Benefits • Round Trip Air fare.
• Monthly allowance.
• Research support.
Application Period • February for Graduate.
• September for Undergraduate.
6. B. GKS for Self-financed Students
Eligibility Enrolled at the 2nd or higher year of undergraduate
degree in Korea
Period of Support 10 months (March-December
Benefits • Monthly allowance (500,000 won per month)
• Career Guidance.
Application Period February
C. GKS for International Exchange Students
Eligibility 80% or higher in the Previous term
Period of Support • 4 months (one term)
• 10 months (two terms)
Benefits • Round Trip Air fare.
• Monthly allowance (500,000 Won per month)
Application Period Need to contact directly with the university.
7. D. Art major Asian (AMA) Scholarship.
Eligibility Excellent Artists from various Asian Countries
Fields Arts field (music, dance, fine arts, drama, traditional arts etc.)
Period of Support • 4 years for undergraduate.
• 2-3 years for Graduate.
Benefits • Round Trip Air fare.
• Tuition Fees
• Monthly allowance. (800,000 won per month)
• Korean Language Training.
Application Period • February – May
E. Postdoctoral Fellowship (Scholarship program from ministry of foreign affairs)
Eligibility International Scholars with recent PhD on Korea-related topic in
their further research.
Fields Humanities or social science fields on Korea-related topic.
Period of Support 12 months
8. F. Other Scholarships
Institutions Name of Scholarship Website
Daewoong Foundation Woongtoring school http://daewoongfoundation.or.kr/
Hansae Yes24 Foundation Scholarship for
Lee & Won Lee & Won Asian
POSCO TJ Park
POSCO Asia Fellowship https://www.postf.org
Rotary Club Rotary scholarship http://www.rotarykorea.org/
9. Global Korea Scholarship
- Opens in last of February every year for graduate degree
- Opens in September every year for undergraduate degree
- Around 1200 graduate and 220 undergraduate grantees every year
- Can Apply through Embassy or University Track
10. Embassy Track
- Quota for graduate: 3
- Quota for undergraduate: 1
- Must Submit the application documents to the Embassy of Korea.
- Can choose 3 different universities, but must include at least one from Type B.
- Quota for graduate: 5 (General), 3(Science and engineering majors of regional
- Quota for Undergraduate: not Specified
- Must submit application directly to the university
- Can choose only one university
- All applicants parents must not hold Korean Citizenship
- Must be under 40 years of age as of September 1 for graduate.
- Must be under 25 years of age as of March 1, 2021 for undergraduate
- Night School, Short-term seasonal programs, online and distant-learning
programs are not available to apply and admission is not permitted
11. Degree Requirements
Doctoral Program Applicants: Must hold a Masters degree or a level of education equivalent to a
Masters Program Applicants: Must hold a Bachelors degree or a level of education equivalent to a
Undergraduate: Most hold high school degree
Prospective applicants who have attained a Bachelors, Masters, or a doctoral degree in Korea are
NOT eligible to apply.
Applicants who have previously studied in a Korean university as exchange or visiting students
can apply to this program.
The former GKS scholars can re-apply only once
2.64 on a 4.0 scale;
2.80 on a 4.3 scale;
2.91 on a 4.5 scale
3.23 on a 5.0 scale;
Score percentile: 80% or above on a 100 point scale or be ranked within the top 20% within ones
Previous or current GKS scholars must hold the grade of 90% or above on a 100 point scale or be
ranked within the top 10% within ones class.
- Prospective applicants who have attained a Bachelors, Masters, or a doctoral degree
in Korea are NOT eligible to apply.
- Former applicants who had withdrawn from the scholarship after being selected as
- But the one fail to achieve TOPIK level 3 can reapply if they receive TOPIK level 5
- GKS scholars who are reapplying to the program MUST hold TOPIK level 5 or 6 in
order to reapply for the program starting from 2021 GKS Graduate Program
- Proficiency in Korean and/or English
- Major in Natural Science and Engineering
- Majors under the Industrial Professionals Training Project
- Academic professors holding citizenship of developing countries, especially
- Applicants from low income families or underprivileged backgrounds will be
15. • All application documents must be written either in Korean or English.
• Applicant MUST have the photocopies notarized, apostilled, or receive consular
confirmation and submit those certified documents.
• All documents submitted will NOT be returned to the applicants in any case. (Don't
Submit Original documents)
• Submit all the documents in order of the check list.
• Two different recommendation letters, sealed in an envelope and signed across the
• For Embassy track: Submit one set of original application and three set of
• For university track: Submit one set of original application.
• The deadline of the application differs with embassy and universities.
• Don’t apply for both university and embassy track.
Important Overall Information
17. Scholarship Benefits
• Round Trip air fare
• Settlement allowance: 200,000 Won (offered once)
• Monthly allowance: 1,000,000 won for graduate and 900,000 won for
• Research Allowance for graduate degree
- Arts and Social Science: 210,000 Won per semester
- Natural Science and Engineering: 240,000 Won per semester
• Tuition fee and Admission Fee: Fully Covered
• Thesis Printing fee
• Medical Insurance: 20,000 Won per month, (60,000 Won per month from March)
• Korean Proficiency grants: 100,000 Won per month (TOPIK level 5 or 6)
• Degree Completion Grants: 100,000 Won
1 year of Korean Language
3 years of Degree for PhD.
2 years of Degree for Masters.
18. For graduates
Find the appropriate professor of your major
Email to him including your area of interest
Read the admission guidelines of the respective
Apply for admission
Apply for visa
Leave for Korea
Research Assistant/Professor’s Funding
19. Living in Korea
1. Alien Registration
- Stay more than 90 days
- Application form
- Color photo
- House contract
20. 2. Reporting change of Alien Registration Card
- Changes must be reported with 14 days of occurrence
- Report to the local immigration office
- Documents: Alien card, passport, application form
- Not reporting within 14 days will be charged fine.
Change Status of Stay
21. 3. Extension of Stay
Process to take permission of Stay extension
- Period of stay is granted considering academic calendar
- No approval for leave of absences with familial reasons
- However, Changing to a relevant status is allowed, as an exception, for
unavoidable circumstances such as diseases, accidents, etc.
22. Required Documents
- Application, passport, alien card, fee
- Documents proving enrollment (e.g. proof of enrollment, proof of researcher etc.)
- Documents to prove that the studies have been pursued in a normal way. (eg
Transcript, certificate of attendance, etc.)
- Documents proving financial ability
- House contract
For graduates from Korean University, Job Searching (D-10) visa is the first step for
Visa status shall be changed according to the employment.
Employment in Korea:
- Job Fair for International Students
※ Reference: http://jobfair.contactkorea.go.kr
23. Information for Study and life in Korea?
Society of Nepalese Students in Korea (SONSIK)
National Institute of International Education (NIIED) – www.studyinkorea.go.kr
We (Korean Universities Students and Alumni)
Embassy of Nepal in Korea
SONSIK Alumni in Nepal