Their is a new role called a QA Anchor, this role is much more of QA then the classic QA/QC roles we are used to. Please review this slide deck and find out more about what a QA Anchor does and how this job function works.
• Bob Small “QA Bob”
• Since 1998 I has worked in IT as a developer, network admin, Scrum Master, DBA, QA/Test Engineer, and
DevOps. Bob’s experience and focus has been testing in GUI's, browsers, desktop applications,
Telephony, IVRs, APIs, Data Schema, and Server applications.
• Recently Bob has been focused on Continuous Delivery and Context-driven Testing. Bob has presented
talks on Continuous Delivery and Context-driven Testing at recent Star conferences
• Rob Swoboda “Rob”
• Rob Has been in IT since 1997 with over 17 years in all aspects of software testing across a wide variety
of industries. Rob is a alumni Speaker at Star-East 2010.
3. CHANGING WORLD = NEW ROLES “QA-X” ROLE
1. How is the Software Development world changing and
what does that mean to testing
2. New roles: Technical QA “TQA”, QA anchor, BA/SA “BSA”,
3. What are these new roles and why are they needed?
4. WHAT IS THIS NEW ROLE “QA ANCHOR”
• QA Anchor does and how this job function works?
• What type of test cases does a QA Anchor write?
• What types testing are the QA anchors responsible for signing off on?
• What artifacts does a QA anchor produce?
• What type of QA person and back ground is required for a QA Anchor?
5. MEET THE QA ANCHOR ROLE!
How the QA Anchor job function works:
1. The QA Anchor infuses the software creation culture and ethos with quality
behaviors and habits to produce working software.
2. The QA Anchor strives to be the glue that holds projects together.
3. The QA Anchor collaborates.
4. The QA Anchor Advocate and Evangelize.
5. The QA Anchor Advocate Automation.
6. The QA Anchor lets go of Functional testing and empower the entire team to
6. MEET THE QA ANCHOR ROLE!
7. The QA Anchor Drive use of Open Source
8. The QA Anchor Coaches and Enabling.
9. The QA Anchor strives to learn something new every day.
10. The QA Anchor is an integral part of a dynamic culture.
11. As a Quality Anchor, you help to create outstanding user
8. TYPE OF QA PERSON MAKES FOR A QA ANCHOR?
ONE WHO HAS:
1. Experience with open source test automation tools and frameworks.
2. A rich breadth of experience in web and mobile fundamentals.
3. An eagerness to do what it takes to get the job done.
4. Experience in mentoring and executing Agile, Lean, and Continuous Delivery
5. A disruptive attitude towards technology innovation.
9. TYPE OF QA BACK GROUND NEED FOR A QA ANCHOR ?
1. Communicates extremely effectively.
2. Monitors, evaluates, manages and executes quality measures.
3. Works closely with leadership to produce product quality maturity.
4. Reviews progress toward the goals regularly with leadership.
5. Performance metrics program for quality improvement initiatives.
6. Conducts audits and analyses findings.
7. Coordinates and facilitates quality assurance activities.
10. THE QA ANCHOR’S ENVIRONMENT
• Can vary but….
• Works best in Extreme programming, Paired Development, Test Driven Development
• Here the QA Anchor mentors pairs of Developers to functionally test their code
• The QA Anchor helps to create an effective flexible Testing methodology utilizing
Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) testing in conjunction with a Context Driven
approach. The primary Test Method/ Techniques of The QA Anchor being Exploratory
Testing in a Session-Based Test Management framework.
• The QA Anchor motto “Road blocks don’t hang me up!!!
11. THE QA ANCHOR AT AAA
1. Here we follow the digital way.
2. Based on the agile manifesto with success measured by working software.
3. The QA Anchor takes the accumulation of all their skills, past experience and
wisdom and articulate them in a dynamic and intuitive manner.
4. The end result is not Doc’s $ Procs but working software achieved by infusing
the culture and behavior of the team with quality practices the are ingrain in
“The way we make software”!
13. WHAT ARE QA ANCHOR ARTIFACTS
• What type of documentation and testing are QA Anchors responsible for???
• Answer Not much!
• Exploratory test deliverable.
• Exploratory-Charter-Template empty.docx
• QA Anchor Engagement Final 12-24-15.docx
14. QA ANCHOR METHODS
• Walk about
• QA Anchor Engagement Guidelines
• Exploratory test activities and test techniques we use:
• Paired exploratory testing.
• Time box:
• 3 min Recording , Video time box executions
15. IN SUMMARY
1. The QA Anchor guides.
2. The QA Anchor empowers.
3. The QA Anchor not focused on doing testing.
4. The QA Anchor is Advocate.
5. The QA Anchor is hands on in…..
Some text was taken from https://www.thoughtworks.com/jobs/163468
Hinweis der Redaktion
1. Mention agile, Kanban Continuous Delivery, Context and Behavioral Driven Dev =
leading to Exploratory Testing Context and Behavioral Driven testing.
2. Tech QA = mid lvl dev and sr. QA in one role, BSA merges the BA role with the System Analyst role.
3. For various reason such as rapidly changing market place and new methodologies to answer the demand the market places on software products.
QA Anchor does and how this job function works?
The QA Anchor infuses the software creation culture and ethos with quality behaviors and habits
that will enhance the level of quality at every level of the creation of working software.
The QA Anchor strives to be the glue that holds projects together.
The QA Anchor collaborates with stakeholders and project team to identify needs and gather requirements.
The QA Anchor Advocate and Evangelize for best practices like pair programming, Test Driven Development (TDD), Behavioral-Driven Development (BDD), Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD) and
The QA Anchor Advocate automation of every part of the software delivery lifecycle
The QA Anchor lets go of Functional testing and empower the entire team to own quality.
6. Drive use of Open Source and share latest tools and trends across teams.
7. Coaching and enabling of project teams.
8. Learn something new every day.
9. The Quality Anchor is a integral part of a dynamic, collaborative, transparent, non-hierarchal, and ego-free culture where your talent is valued over a role title.
10. As a Quality Anchor, you will help us to create outstanding user experiences by assisting developers to validate the quality of their code. In your role, you will perform exploratory testing and pair-program with another team member (Designer, Developer, Analyst) to complete a user story. You will complete help developers with Test Driven Development (TDD) and potentially create automated test scripts to ensure a full suite of testing occurs. You will work directly with the team in real time and will participate in the acceptance testing by the Product Owner to gain acceptance of the story.
Experience with open source test automation tools and frameworks.
A rich breadth of experience in web and mobile fundamentals.
An eagerness to do what it takes to get the job done. Whether that means going back to the drawing board with a problem or simply taking on different roles and responsibilities for a period of time - you thrive at adapting to changing environment
Experience in mentoring and executing Agile, Lean, and Continuous Delivery best practices.
A disruptive attitude towards technology innovation.
Communicates internal IT service quality control standards, policies and procedures.
Monitors, evaluates, manages and executes audit processes to ensure compliance
Works closely with Digital Services leaders to develop and implement an overall quality maturity roadmap and plan.
Reviews progress toward the plan regularly with Digital Services leaders, technical teams and customers to make modifications as necessary
Designs, monitors and analyzes performance metrics program for quality improvement initiatives.
Conducts audits and analyses findings to develop appropriate corrective action recommendations.
Coordinates and facilitates quality assurance activities for a product or set of products delivered by the Digital Services Team
The development environment must be dynamic and flexible.
Creativity and intuition are allowed to guide the quality process.
There is no fear of change as change equals opportunity!
Brief on QA Anchor focus on Exploratory test deliverable.
Overview of Exploratory testing: Explain diff between Functional (Predictive / Verification test: “Are we building the product right?" The software should conform to its specification.) , and exploratory testing (Subjective/ Intuitive, Validation test:“ Are we building the right product?" The software should do what the user really requires.)
The Exploratory test charters are used for keeping track of an exploratory test session’s findings.
Exploratory testing itself is a documented approach to testing a system’s functionality with an architecture that is largely unknown.
Ask for question after each section
Present the Exploratory testing doc and explain the sections
QA Anchor Engagement guidelines
Exploratory test activities and test techniques we use:
Paired exploratory testing.
3 min Recording , Video time box executions
Compare with Exploratory template for EZ pay
Demo recorded testing method.
Demo paired testing with Bob.
QA Anchor Engagement
The QA Anchor guides dev and org to quality practices.
The QA Anchor empowers the team to own quality and freely transfer the traditional testing responsibilities to them.
The QA Anchor not focused on doing testing but weaving testing and quality behaviors into the development culture.
The QA Anchor is Advocate, Evangelist and Coach of the teams Culture of Quality.
The QA Anchor is hands on in leading/ performing Exploratory testing and identifying/ introducing new tool and techniques to the team to enhance the quality of each release of the product