1. Edexcel GCSE 9-1 Psychology Topic 11 Research Methods
Methods of sampling (pp. 136-7)
1) To learn the meaning of target population and samples.
2) To learn about techniques to gather a sample of participants: random, stratified volunteer and
3) To learn about the strengths and weaknesses of these sampling methods.
Key terminology: try to write it in your own words! Try to draw a picture or a key word/phrase to help you
remember each in the right hand column.
2. 1) In the box at right, draw a picture to
illustrate what is meant by target population.
Identify which sampling technique is shown in each picture.
a) b) c) d)
Complete the table to illustrate the strengths and weaknesses of each sampling method.
Sampling type Random Stratified Volunteer Opportunity
Exam questions: 1) Give two strengths of random sampling. 2) Give two weaknesses of volunteer sampling.