Literary Appreciation is the gift to comprehend,
enjoy, and appraise a literary piece. It is to
watch/read literary works and be able to give
evaluations/opinions out of it. By reading and
analyses, a language is improved. Increase
comprehension on a material and establish a
personal connection to a piece. We are able to
indulge ourselves to known and unknown precepts
of life, culture and etc. Literary Appreciation is to
take a way moral messages, values and learn and
unlearn things in life.
Poetry is a type of literature that expresses ideas, feeling
or tells a story in a specific form. It arouses emotions and
use imagery. Suggest action or mood.
It is grouped in a line called stanzas.
T YPES OF POEMS an d EXAMPL ES:
1 . Narrative p oem - T h e Raven by Ed gar Allan Poe
• Epic - I liad and Odyssey by Homer
• B allad - L a B elle Dame San a Merci by Joh n Keats
• Tale - Girl with ou t Han d s by Margaret Atwood
• I d yll - I d ylls of th e Kin g by Alfred L ord Ten nys on
2 . Dramatic poem - A dream by William Blake
• Traged y - Hamlet by William Sh akes p eare
• Comed y - Ever y Man in h is Hu mor by B en Joh n s on
• Tragi -comed y - T h e Ch err y Orch ard by Anton Ch ekh ov
• Mon ologu e - My L ast Du ch es s by Ro b ert B ro wn in g
3 . Clos et d rama - Pip p a Pas s es by Rob ert B rown in g
4 . Lyric p oem - A Dirge by Ch ristin a Ro s s etti
• Elegy - Death Stan d s ab ove me by Walter Savage
• Od e - Od e to th e West Win d by Percy Bys s h e Sh elley
• Sonnet - Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare
1.Sound- Poems are meant to be read aloud.
2.Rhyme- same sound/rhyme at the end of each line poem.
3.Rhythm- beat of the poem.
4.Repetition- it helps the poet emphasize an idea or create a
5.Free verse- no verse
6.Imagery- words or phrases that appeal to the five senses.
7.Figurative language- helps reader see ordinary things in a
DRAMA DRAMA is a story acted on a stage with costumes and backgrounds. It i practiced,
mastered and presented in front of an audience.
1. COMEDY- makes the audience laugh
2. TRAGIC- has a terrible or ad ending
3. ROMANCE- a drama that rolls about love and dating
4. TRAGICOMEDY- combination of tragedy and comedy.
FORMS OF DRAMA:
1. OPERA- drama where characters usually sing to express their thoughts
2. PANTOMIME- an art of dramatic representation by means of facial expression
and body movements rather than words.
3. CREATIVE DRAMA- includes dramatic activities and games used primarily in
educational settings with children.
Is a word or phrase that replaces a word or phrase to
make it more polite or pleasant.
Letting him go instead of fired him
Passed away instead of died
Homeless instead of bum
A little thin on top instead of bald
A technique wherein several phrases or verses begin
with the same word or words.
I came, I saw, I conquer. – Julius Caesar
Mad world! Mad kings! Mad composition! – William
We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. – Winston
Is the repetition of vowel sounds in words that are closed
A- For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore.
U- Uncertain rustling of each purple curtain. – Poe
I- From what I’ve tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire.-
Figure of speech by which someone, abstract object or non-
living thing is addressed directly as if it could hear it/were
present though abent.
Death be not proud!
Rain rain go away!
Watch attentively this video for you to have an outlook to what poetry is, its meaning, types and elements.
There are three main branches of literature, namely poetry, drama and prose. The first one is poetry wherein it is the art of expression through verse.
Watch this introductory!
Here are the types of poems and some examples.
Poems also has its elements.
Next we have the prose which is a writing that is not a poetry. Doesn’t have verses or stanzas. It is divided into two, fiction and no- fiction. Fiction are made up and non-fiction are real or facts. The two also has types and is presented above.
Back then dram is only shown on stages but as technology evolves, drama is also presented on the movies.
A good poem doesn’t JUST consist of so words but combinations which are catchy. We have here our figures of speech usually used to write poems/stories.