2. • INTRODUCTION
• Assessment or evaluation is an act or process that allows one
to make a valuable judgment about the determine whether the
educational objectives achieved or not. A member of different
types of eyaluative devices may be used to evaluate and
measure students achievement, each of which should be
judged by certain criteria.
• Evaluation of nursing care is done in order to assess the quality
of clinical nursing services provided to the patients. It is the
responsibility of the nursing supervisor under the guidance of
the director of nursing service to formulate the plan of
evaluation of the care given to the patients
3. • . There are various means of evaluating students for nursing care.
Observation: The ward sister/clinical instructor can observe whether the
patient's charts are maintained properly or not
Nursing can be evaluated by observing the patient progress.
• By giving opinionnaire/questionnaire to patients
• Interviewing relative patients and staff and students.
• Frequent rounds.
• Nursing rounds,
"Evaluation or assessment in education is a process of judging the effective
of educational experiences through careful appraisal." -L.E Hiderken.
"Evaluation is a systematic examination of educational and social
programme". -Conbach et al.
"Evaluation is an act or process that involves the assignment of a numerical
index to whatever is being assessed." - Dandekar.
"Evaluation is a value judgment of an observation,' performance test' or
indeed any 'data' whether directly measured or inferred.
4. PURPOSES OF EVALUATION:
• To determine the level of knowledge and understanding of the student.
• To determine the level of knowledge and understanding of the student's
• To find out the weakness and strength of students in different areas.
• To improve self-directed knowledge.
• To check effectiveness of teaching.
• To improve teaching methods.
• It helps in the improvement of the curriculum.
• It helps the students to identify their difficulties and problems in learning and
know the progresst they make.
• To guide the teacher and students in selecting of future learning.
• To provide guidance counseling to the students related to learning.
• To decide promotion and placement etc.
• To reports to the parents the achievement of students.To motivate and
encourage students to learn.
5. AIMS OF ASSESSMENT/ EVALUATION:
1. Proving a periodic check that will direct a definite line on the
continued improvement of the program of the school/college.
2. Giving everyone working with pupils the information that is necessary
to provide guidance and counsel for boys and girls.
3. Securing help in validating the function and the goal that the school /
college strives to attain in determining the program upon which the
school / college operates.
4. Providing a sound basis for good public relation to secure an
understanding on the part of a community of the school / college and
5. Providing a sense of security to members of the school/college, staff,
to pupils and to their parents so that they have tangible evidence that
the program they are operating is an effective one.
6. PRINCIPLES OF ASSESSMENT / EVALUATION:
1 The objectives of evaluation must be started clearly before evaluation
2. Evaluation techniques should be selected in terms of the purposes
to be served.
3. Comprehensive evaluation requires a variety of evaluation
4. Proper use of evaluation techniques requires awareness of their
limitation as well as on their strength.
7. 5. Evaluation is a means to an end and not an end an end
itself. Evaluation procedures would be related in terms of the decisions
to be made.
6. Evaluation procedures must contribute to improved decisions of
instruction, guidance and administrative nature.
7. Since evaluation involves getting evidence about the behaviors that
are desired as educational objectives an appropriate method of
evaluation. 8. Evaluation assures that it is possible to estimate the
typical reaction of the students by getting evidence about a sample of his