• Complementary and alternative medicines (CAM)
includes various healing process and therapies
that originate from around that are not based
on conventional western medicines , these
therapies are called alternative medicines when
they are used with conventional medicine.
• HOLISM: The idea that the whole of the sick person
including their body , mind and way of life , should be
considered when treating them , and not the just the
symptom of the diseases.
• HUMANISM: A system of thought that considers the
solving of human problems with the help of religious beliefs,
it emphasizes the fact that basic nature of human is good .
• BALANCE : A Situation in which different things exist in
equal , correct or good amount.
• ENERGY : The ability to put effort and enthusiasm into an
activity , work etc.
• HEALING : The process of returning to normal function
after a period of disease or injury.
• Alternative medicine: Health as a balance
body systems physical , emotional and
spiritual environment involving the whole
patient approach to holistic.
• Complementary medicine: complementary
and alternative medicine is a group of
diverse medical and health care system,
practices and products that are not
generally considered part of conventional
6. Types of complementary and
Alternative medical systems
Biologically based treatments
Mind body techniques
Manipulative and body based methods
9. • In Sanskrit , word ayurveda consists of the word ayes meaning
life and veda meaning related to knowledge or science.
• The aim is to remove the cause of disorders, prevent illness and
harmonize body, mind and consciousness. Ayurveda aids is
maintaing good health, increasing longevity and overall quality of
• Terminalia arjuna
• Black pepper And long pepper are combined with ginger
• The siddha is a form of south indian tamil traditional
medicine , the system is believed to be developed by the
9nath and 84 siddhas in the north and 18 siddhas in the
south called siddhar.
• Siddharas were the concept that a healthy body, the
treatment in siddha medicines in aimed at keeping the three
humours in equilibrium and maintenance of seven elements it
is assumed that when the normal equilibrium of three
humours vatha, pitha & kapha is distributed disease
13. Unani and tibbi
• As an alternative form of medicine unani has
found in favour in asia, especially in india. Unani
they are considered to earth be a fire, water and
in the human body.
• The theory postulates the presence in the human
body of phelgm , blood, yellow bile and black
bile, its imbalance can result in disease.
• It is a therapy based on the concept
that disease can be treated with
drugs (minute dose) .
• Homeopathy developed is based on
the principles that cures like, a
substance that when it is given in
17. Biologically based
• Herbal medicine: has always attracted
some interest many well known drugs are
• Eg; digoxin from foxglows and morphine
• Nutritional therapy: antioxidant are also
nutritional supplements which can remove
free radicals from human body so as to
prevent severe diseases like cancers
18. Mind Body Technique
Meditations: In meditation people regulate their
attention or systematically focus on particular
aspects of inner or experience
Relaxation technique : practice to relieve tension
and strain . The specific techniques are aimed to
reducing activity of the nervous that control the
Guided imagery : imagnery involves the Use of
mental images to promote relaxation and wellness
, reduce pain or facilitate healing.
19. Hypnotherapy : in hypnotherapy people
are guided into an advanced state of
relaxation and heightened attention.
It helpful many conditions in
psychological factors can influcens
phsical symptoms like phobia, asthma,
20. Qigong & tai chi
• Chinese of exercise to keep the body
mind healthy by doing daily
21. Manipulative and body based
• Yoga: The fundamental idea behind the
practicte of yoga is to unite the individual
self (jiva) with a supreme or pure
consciousness (brahma) factual of yoga is
– Physical posture
– Breathing technique
– Relaxation technique
29. Widely used therapies
• Bio electro magnetic therapy
• Photo energy therapy
• Detoxification therapy: in involves in
the removal of toxic substances.
– Detoxification therapy treatment:
– X-ray taken blood samples
– Colonic irrigation
• A lot of research is being done in this field and
new drugs for treating more illness are being
explore the side effects and resistance
allopathy. Drug is becoming a human concern so
people are turning to alternative approach, so
the prospects of alternative approach is bright.
• Shebeer . P. Basheer S. Yaseen “ A concise text
book of advanced nursing practice,” first edition
2012 published by Emmess Medical publishers. Pg.
• Bawn M.M, Bergstorm, N.langston. N.F &
Thomas.Z (1988). Physiological effects of human
companion animal bonding, nursing research pg.no
• Nightingale F (1860) Notes on nursing new york
35. • Maraiah synder, Ruth lindquist,
complementary/ Alternative therapies in
nursing, 5th edition 2006 springer publishing
company, newyork pg no 3-56
• Wright S.M(1987) The use of therapeutic
touch in the management of pain nursing
clinics of north America (22) 705-714
• Smith M.J (1972) paranormal effects on
enzyme activity. Human dimension 1,12-15
36. • Anne. M.Barker. Advanced practice
nursing first edition 2010. Baitut
• http//. www. Alternative
• http//. www. Alternative and
complementary medicines therapies.