BMS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
Past | Present | Future
MOHIT N KAMATH
Under the guidance of
Dr. JAGANNATHA KB
Dept. of ECE
• Deformities has taken several lives: Physically challenged born face
tough problems throughout their lives.
• Enhancing Human lives has always been a technical challenge for
• Deformities might have been a consequence of a domestic accident or
in warfare, they could even birth defects line deaf and blind.
• “Human Augmentation” aims to enhance human abilities through
medicine or technology.
Augmentation : make something greater; improvising.
Human Augmentation : Improving Human lives, it is a
technology that enhances capacity and productivity.
Historically, this was achieved by consuming chemical
substances that improved certain selected abilities or
was done by installing implants which required
As technology evolved, augmented abilities have also
been achieved with external tools, such as eyeglasses,
binoculars, microscopes or highly sensitive
1. Roope Raisamo, Ismo Rakkolainen, Päivi Majaranta, Katri Salminen, Jussi
Rantala, Ahmed Farooq,” Human augmentation: Past, present and future,”
International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Vol 131, May. 2019, pp. 131-
Human-centric User Interface Paradigms:
• GUI – Interaction Between Humans and
• Virtual Reality – Totally virtual world, cuts
the connection between the human mind
and real world.
• Ubiquitous Computer – Present technology
that allows tasks to be performed anywhere
and is found everywhere.
• In Human Augmentation Paradigm –
Human action is the core.
• Augmented and Virtual reality
co-exist and humans can
switch between them.
• Augmented Reality will play a
larger role as that is not just
an extension but a major
connection between the real
and virtual world.
Categories of Augmentation:
Augmented Senses : Achieved by
interpreting available multisensory
information through human senses.
E.g. : Augmented Vision, hearing,
haptic sensation, smell and taste
Augmented Action : Achieved by
interpreting actions. E.g.: Speech
input, Gaze-based controls,
teleoperation and remote presence
Augmented Cognition: Using analytical
tools to enhance human cognition.
E.g: Adapting computer’s response to
match the current needs and predict
user needs. 1. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Two-types-of-augmentation-augmented-execution-and-
A model of wearable Augmentation:
• Augmenting human senses, action and cognition through wearale technology.
• Sensing Technologies : Detect environment,
objects and events. Computer vision,
multispectral cameras and touch.
• Multisensory presentation Technologies: It
applies human senses like sight, hearing, touch,
olfaction, gustation as channel to mediate
augmentation sensing and feedback to this is
• Actuation Technologies: Affect the
environment as directed my humans. These can
include different kinds of displays, audio
equipment, haptic actuators and as well as smell
and taste generators.
• Ubiquitous Information Services and
Artificial intelligence Technologies: Provides
access to networked information services, IoT
and AI. This will develop personalized AI
extensions that assist and autonomously support
a variety of tasks.
FUTURE OF HUMAN AUGMENTATION
• The call for research is in the field of Augmentation.
• The innovations are taking place much faster than expected.
• The augmented version of human names – HUMAN 2.0, a cyborg
like creation with the capacity to not just effectively use AI but also
the sense of touch, emotion and taste.
• Other futuristic Implementations are:
Artificial blood cells, which will diminish the age factor.
Healing body with tissue engineering.
Memory chips for brain computer interface