2. What is product-mix ?
• Set of all product offered for sale by a
• It consist of various product line.
• Any company’s product mix has four
3. • Width : Number of different product lines
carries by the company.
• Length : Total number of items in the
product mix of the company.
• Depth : Assortment of size, colour and
models offered in each item of a
• Consistency : It refers to the relationship of
various product line either in their
end use, production
channel or other way.
4. Product Mix of Hindustan
Home & Personal Beverages
Laundry Skin Care Oral Care Deodorants Tea Coffee
Surf excel Fair & Pepsodent Axe Bru
Lovely Sunsilk Bond
Rin Ponds Close-up Rexona Lipton
5. PRODUCT-MIX DECISION
A. PRODUCT LINE ANALYSIS
Taking decision regarding whether adding
new product line or not, lengthen the existing
product line or not, analysis of product line is
7. B. MARKET PROFILE
Product line manager must review the
position of its company’s product line
against competitors lines. Product map
is used to show the position of their items
against competitors items.
8. C B
D B C
X X A
C X B A
LOW(90) MEDUM HIGH EXTRA
(120) (150) HIGH(180)
9. Methods of Extending Product-Line
• Line stretching : every company’s product
line covers a certain part of the total
possible range, when company lengthen
its product line beyond current range
known as line stretching.
1. Down-Market Stretch
2. Up-Market Stretch
3. Two-way Stretch
10. • Line Filling : A firm can lengthen its
product line by adding more items with in
the present range.
11. LINE MODERNIZING,
FEATURING AND PRUNING
• Product line need to be modernized. In
rapidly changing product markets,
modernization is continuous.
• The product line manager typically select
one or few items in the line to feature.
• Product line manager periodically review
the line for deadwood that is depressing