4. Natural Resources
“Natural resources are resources that
exist without any actions of humankind.”
On Earth, natural resources includes sunlight, atmosphere,
water, land, all minerals along with all vegetation, and
6. • Nature helps to maintain the environmental balance
and satisfy the needs to the fullest.
• Resources are important for the development of any
country. For example, to generate energy, one need
fossil fuels; and for industrial development, we require
• They play a vital role in the economic development of
the country by enriching agriculture, trade, imports and
• natural resources not only add to economic
development but also to the sustainable and peaceful
livelihood of people.
7. 5 Most Important Natural Resources are:
1. Air: Clean air is important for all the plants, animals, humans to survive on this
planet. So, it is necessary to take measures to reduce air pollution.
2. Water: 70% of the Earth is covered in water and only 2 % of that is freshwater.
Water is key material in construction.
3. Soil: Soil is composed of various particles and nutrients. It helps plants grow.
all the structures are made on soil.
4. Iron: It is main material in reinforcement in rcc construction.
5. Forests: As the population increases, the demand for housing and
construction projects also increases. Forests provide clean air and preserve
the ecology of the world.
8. Role of an Architect to
saving Natural Resources
“The architect is the first builder in the built environment.”
● Architect can’t build or design a good building without
understanding their relationship with the natural resources and
● Architect need to design buildings that are energy efficient, like
green buildings or sustainable buildings which are designed to
reduce the overall impact on the natural resources.
● Green buildings also managed in the construction process to
make sure that does not affect on natural resources and remain
unpolluted with construction by-products.
9. Role of an Architect to
saving Natural Resources
Architect can follow the following strategies for
sustainable building design :
1. Energy Conservation : Designed more windows for
ventilation and natural light.
2. Material Conservation : Choosing material which is
less harmful to environment.
3. Water Conservation : Provide Rainwater harvesting
system whereas possible.
4. Land Conservation : Avoid excess built-up area .
5. Reduce site waste : Design accordingly so
construction waste can reduce.