2. Types and Sources Of Waste
• Waste or Garbage is any material that is of no use to us and can be
• Waste is generated by human activities.
• Examples – peals of vegetables, empty cans and bottles, household
wastes like old clothes , shoes and utensils.
• Waste can be in solid, liquid or gaseous form.
3. Types of Waste
• Waste can be divided into two main categories –
• Biodegradable Waste
• Non-Biodegradable Waste.
4. Biodegradable Waste
• Bio-Degradable Waste – Certain waste decomposed by
microorganism over a time period changes into manure and is called
• Examples – animal waste, vegetable waste, fallen leaves, waste paper,
peels of vegetables and fruits etc.
5. Non-Biodegradable waste
• Waste materials that do not get decomposed over a long period of
time are called non-biodegradable waste.
• Things like food packages, aluminium foil , plastic bottles, polythene
bags, tins, jars and things made of metal and glass.
6. E - waste
• E – waste is the most dangerous type of non biodegradable waste.
• Waste generated from electronic gadgets are called E-waste.
• Example – Television sets, mobile phones, batteries.
7. • Biodegradable waste is collected in green coloured dustbins.
• Non-Biodegradable waste is collected in blue coloured dustbins.
8. Problems caused by Waste
1. If biodegradable waste is not dumped properly and left in the open,
it may stink and attract mosquitoes, flies and rats which then
2. Non biodegradable waste release poisonous substances or heavy
metals which then contaminate the soil.
3. Dirty water from factories and homes pollute ponds, lakes and
4. Burning of waste produces smoke in the air and pollute it.
5. Polythene bags choke the sewage system, and animals like cow may
eat it and fall ill.
10. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
• Reduce – Reduce means not to use things more than you need.
it helps to conserve natural resources.
For example – Carry a cloth/jute bag for shopping.
• Reuse – Reuse old things for other useful purposes instead of
throwing it away.
For example – prepare doormat using old clothes.
• Recycle – Recycle means to prepare new usable items from old
For example – Making packaging items using old newspapers, books,