Where is our research Department located...
Learning AnalyticsPersonalized Learning
Educational Data Mining
Technology Enhanced Learning
Lackner, E., Khalil, M., Ebner, M. “How to foster forum discussions within MOOCs: A case study”, IJARE (in review).
Khalil, M., Ebner, M. (2016). “What Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Stakeholders Can Learn from Learning
Analytics?”. Learning, Design & Technology. Springer International Publishing.
How does it look like?
Source: BME Solutions Ltd
iMooX Learning Analytics (iLAP)
▸Prediction (... students at risk, performance...)
▸Recommendation (... suggest course, article...)
▸Visualization (... dashboards, plots...)
▸Entertainment (... Gamification elements...)
▸Benchmarking (... evaluate courses, difficulties...)
▸Personalization (... customize courses, notes...)
▸Enhance Engagement (... interventions for
▸Communicate Information (... statistical
analysis to different stakeholders…)
▸Cost Saving (... allocate resources effectively...)
○ Students Database security configuration is overlooked.
○ Achieve confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
○ MOOC datasets may hold sensitive information.
○ Considered as a threat and constraint.
○ Who owns the collected data?
○ Declaration on data collection
○ Processed data usage, sell to third parties or research?
○ Transparent of research or data usage
○ Storing big data can be costly and complex
○ European Directive 95/46/EC says personal data needs to
be stored no longer than necessary.
○ Decisions based on small subset of data.
○ Forums activity as an example!
○ Analytics could fail!
○ Wrong predictions, interventions, visualizations...
○ Bias towards certain hypothesis leads to biased LA
▸Distill meaningful data
○ Pay efforts for ineffective results