MI C H AE L R. SM I T H , CPA
Cell: 602-509-3643 / email@example.com
Strategic Planning ~ Accounting ~ Tax Planning
Accomplished, business-oriented finance professional and CPA with a wealth of expertise in the
management of accounting processes, internal and external audits, and internal accounting
controls. Extensive experience in partnering with customers and vendors, strategic planning, and
tax planning to drive business results. Strong track record in synthesizing business information and
thereby provide value added analysis and ensure profitability. Dynamic leader with proven ability to
design and implement new ideas that deliver creative technical solutions. Enthusiastic and
influential team builder with a strong focus on cash flow management and maximization of the
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
♦ Profit Maximization ♦ Strategic Planning ♦ Cash Flow Analysis ♦ Forecasts and Projections
♦ Internal Audit / Internal Accounting Controls ♦ Contract Negotiation ♦ Team Building
♦ Problem Solver ♦ Customer and Vendor Relations ♦ Business Development
♦ Proven Leader ♦ Corporate Tax Planning ♦ Finance Liaison with External Auditors
♦ GAAP ♦Job/Process Costing
Recycle 1, LLC and wholly-owned subsidiaries, Phoenix, Arizona 2013 – July 2015
• Identified operation that was losing $ 20,000+ monthly
• Developed, documented and implemented standardized accounting controls & processes
• Prepared consolidated financials – never prepared in 20 years of the companies’ history
• Identified & negotiated annual cost savings of 25,000
WARFIELD & CO. CPA’S, Scottsdale, Arizona 2010-2013
Sr. Project Manager/Accountant
• Working with Deputy Receiver for mortgage real-estate company; responsible for preparing
financial reports on $XX million in real-estate investments and ultimate disposition of assets
• Created extensive financial reports for over 150 investors and 450 mortgage loans
JONES TRUCK & IMPLEMENT, INC., Colfax, Washington 2006 – 2009
Largest Case, New Holland and Carquest dealer in the Inland Northwest.
First Controller in history of the company. Enhanced month-end and year-end closing procedures,
coordinating across multiple business units to increase growth and profitability. Reviewed work of and
supervised accounting staff. Analyzed revenue and operating expenses with margin requirements.
• Secured receipt of credit for returned parts by implementing new controls and procedures
estimated annual savings of $ 50,000
• Overhauled financial statement format, ensuring accuracy in business planning and profitability
• Initiated equipment rentals procedures and reporting; realized program discounts over $1 MM
Page 2 MICHAEL R. SMITH, CPA
ASQUITH EMPLOYMENT SERVICES, LLC., Coopersville, Michigan 2003 – 2006
Holding company for multiple businesses.
Directed the accounting and finance operations across multiple businesses and prepared consolidated
financial statements and tax returns to provide corporate ownership with accurate financial reporting.
Initiated internal controls and procedures over retail cash sales transactions. Recruited, trained and led
senior accountants as well as department managers’ staff of nine. Working directly with CEO.
• Spearheaded plan to execute a $7 million tax-free real estate exchange.
• Led restructuring of company ownership resulting in annual income tax savings of $ 33,500
• Reduced outside CPA expenses by $ 20,000 through preparation of accounting schedules,
financial statements and tax returns.
ROBINSON CARTAGE COMPANY GROUP, Grand Rapids, Michigan 2002 –
Specialty and heavy-haul transportation services and construction company.
Chief Financial Officer/Controller
Developed key financial forecasts and pro forma financial statements used in corporate restructuring
• Led corporate reengineering and downsizing initiatives that returned the company to profitability
• Created captive employee leasing company--saving $80,000+ in annual state taxes
• Achieved 21% reduction in labor cost by negotiating a five-year Teamsters Union contract
• Procured $50,000 in annual savings by researching options and changing insurance coverage
from traditional to captive insurance contracts
MIDWEST CASE MANAGEMENT, INC., Grand Rapids, Michigan 1997 – 2002
Integrated disability management company offering medical and vocational case management.
Managed all accounting and finance operations.
Additional accomplishments took place as a Partner/CPA with public accounting firm, Plante &
• Recovered over $30,000 in tax overpayments for a key trucking company client
• Identified annual tax savings of $15,000 for major wholesale firm
• Catapulted profits over 15% through consulting work with management of a distribution firm
• Reduced the number of suppliers and obtained larger volume discounts in managing inventory
controls for a distribution company (estimated annual savings of $30,000)
• Consulted with audit committees and boards of directors of privately-owned companies on
hundreds of external audits
Bachelor of Science in Accounting
Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan